Four people dead and three seriously injured after being hit by trainSeptember 11, 2023
Four people are killed and three more injured after being hit by a train as they crossed railway line near Barcelona
- Tragedy happened between stations Parets del Valles and Granollers on R3 line
- Spanish Transport Minister Raquel Sanchez is ‘dismayed by terrible accident’
Four people have been killed and three others seriously injured after being hit by a train near Barcelona today.
The victims are believed to have been in a group of seven people who were crossing the tracks outside of an authorised area in Montmelo, around 12 miles north of Barcelona.
Four have been confirmed dead by Catalonia’s emergency services while the three people injured are ‘very serious’ and fighting for their lives.
The tragedy happened just before 8.30pm between the stations of Parets del Valles and Granollers on a stretch of a railway line known as the R3 line.
Train services along part of the line have been suspended for the time being.
Spanish media said a music festival was held nearby on Sunday night, the eve of a holiday in Catalonia.
‘We searched for other possible victims near the train. We did not find any others. We also helped evacuate the area and take the injured to ambulances,’ the regional firefighting force wrote on X.
The tragedy happened just before 8.30pm between the stations of Parets del Valles and Granollers on a stretch of a railway line known as the R3 line
Catalan president Pere Aragones said the ‘deadly tragedy leaves us speechless’ and the police forces were investigating the cause of the crash
Civil Protection workers relaying the information said: ‘The initial information was that the train had hit seven people who were crossing the tracks.
‘The other three people have been taken to Barcelona’s Mollet Hospital.
‘There were some 150 people on the train and none have needed medical assistance.’
A spokesman for the regional Mossos d’Esquadra police force said: ‘We are working on the management of this incident and we are opening an investigation to find out the circumstances of this accident.’
The four people killed have been described as three men and a woman and are said to have been all aged around 20.
Although initial reports said they were heading to a music festival, it was being claimed they were leaving the techno music festival when they tried to cross the railway tracks at an unauthorised point.
The festival has been named locally as the Duro Techno Festival at the Montmelo race track which is known for hosting international racing events including F1 races.
The event was a sell-out.
Although initial reports pointed to some of the survivors in the group of seven fighting for their lives, well-placed sources subsequently said they had been hospitalised after suffering panic attacks and had escaped serious injury.
There has not been any official comment on the exact condition of the other members of the group.
Catalan president Pere Aragones tweeted: ‘Absolutely appalled by the multiple train crash in Montmelo, a deadly tragedy that leaves us speechless.
‘The emergency services continue to work and offer support to victims and relatives. The police forces are already investigating the causes of the accident.
Spanish Transport Minister Racquel Sanchez said she was ‘dismayed by the terrible accident’ and sent her condolences to the family and loved ones of those who died
‘There are no trains running between Parets and Granollers.’
Spanish Transport Minister Raquel Sanchez posted on X, formerly known as Twitter: ‘Dismayed by the terrible accident this afternoon on line R3, in Montmeló.
‘My condolences to the family and loved ones of the deceased and my support to the emergency teams and services working in this difficult situation.’
David Lucas Parron, the Secretary of State for transport, mobility and urban agenda, said: ‘Terrible accident this afternoon on line R3, in Montmeló. I extend my condolences to the family and friends of the deceased in these difficult times.’
Source: Read Full Article