British jockey fined over £30,000 and banned for two months after pleading guilty to 'improper conduct' | The SunNovember 15, 2023
BRIT jockey Harry Bentley has been fined more than £30,000 and banned for two months after pleading guilty to 'improper conduct'.
The case surrounding Bentley, who rides in Hong Kong, had been shrouded in mystery since he was blocked from all racing with immediate effect on November 3.
But the 31-year-old has now copped a massive fine and hefty ban after passing on information about horses he was riding.
Bentley, a Group 1-winnning rider, gave the insider info in return for potential financial reward – but never saw the money.
In a statement, HKJC chief steward Marc van Gestel said: "In determining penalty, the stewards took into consideration his guilty plea, the nature and circumstances of the breach, including that the evidence established that Mr Bentley did not receive the payment as detailed, Mr Bentley’s personal and professional circumstances at the time of the offence and his unblemished record in relation to similar offences.
"In the circumstances, Mr Bentley’s jockey licence to ride in races was suspended for a period of two months to commence on November 3 2023, the day he was stood down by the stewards under Rule 12 (15), and to expire on January 3 2024.
"In addition, Mr Bentley was fined a sum of HK$300,000 (£31,379)."
Stewards said Bentley had passed on info about horses to a person who was not the owner or associated with the horses in any way.
They spoke on a phone the individual had given the jockey.
The pair agreed Bentley would be paid in return for his information but the money was never sent.
Most read in Horse Racing
RACING IN SHOCK
Top jockey Lee has damaged spinal cord from ‘very serious injury’ in race
My NAP can jump his rivals silly at a track he loves
This 33-1 shot can get the bookies running scared on Monday
My NAP went close on his British debut and can go one better at Sandown
Bentley was also found to have given 'false or misleading statements' when quizzed by chiefs on October 31.
His ban comes after former top rider Silvestre de Sousa was banned for ten months last May.
Former three-time champion jockey De Sousa was found to have breached betting rules by 'facilitating' his pal and fellow Brazilian jockey Vagner Borges in placing a bet.
Source: Read Full Article