Chelsea Supporters’ Trust slam club for removing £10 fan subsidy for away travel 'while breaking transfer record twice' | The SunAugust 29, 2023
CHELSEA supporters are fuming after the club announced plans to stop subsidising away fan travel.
The Blues used to provide supporters with a £10 subsidy for domestic away travel on official club coaches.
But they have made the unpopular decision to do away with the subsidy in an apparent bid to cut costs, which has enraged many of the Stamford Bridge faithful.
An excerpt of a statement from the club's supporters' trust read: "Chelsea Football Club (CFC) has today announced that it will remove the full coach subsidy for away domestic travel.
"The appalling decision will force those who rely on the service to pay significantly more to travel to away fixtures.
"Despite representations from The Chelsea Supporters’ Trust (CST) and coach users, CFC has unfortunately decided that maintaining the £10 subsidy is not 'financially sustainable.'"
READ MORE IN BOXING
Meet Moises Caicedo’s model girlfriend & carnival queen Paola Salazar
Get £40 in free Bet Builder bets when you stake £10 on football with Paddy Power
The CST will dip into their own pocket to subsidise fan travel for the Blues' trip to Bournemouth a fortnight on Sunday.
The removal of the £10 subsidy is particularly stinging given Chelsea's recent splurges in the transfer market over the last year, during which they have TWICE broken the British transfer record to sign Enzo Fernandez and Moises Caicedo.
The CST tweeted: "Breaking the British transfer record twice in a year is fine, but a £10 subsidised coach is where Chelsea draws the line."
Blues fans voiced their fury on social media, with one tweeting: "That's shocking, should be reversed immediately."
Most read in Football
Hojbjerg TALKS underway, United eye Ryan Gravenberch, Maguire EXCLUSIVE
Inside sordid rise of Spain FA chief including 'orgies with 10 prostitutes'
Newcastle captain is punched in shocking brawl as thugs 'threaten to shoot him'
Salah 'WANTS Saudi move', Nunes goes on STRIKE, Chelsea 'to let Lukaku leave'
BETTING SPECIAL – BEST SPORTS BETTING APPS IN THE UK
Another said: "Really? This is seriously laughable."
And another said: "Shocking, but, unfortunately, not entirely surprising decision."
One remarked: "Terrible decision by the club on top of our women's season tickets going up by so much.
"Pricing the most loyal supporters out of the game."
Another chimed in: "This is absolutely pathetic from Chelsea's owners."
Chelsea have yet to issue a response to the immense backlash their unpopular decision has received.
The West Londoners will be back in action on Wednesday night, welcoming AFC Wimbledon to Stamford Bridge for their Carabao Cup second-round tie.
SunSport has reached out to Chelsea Football Club for comment.
Source: Read Full Article