Warning after US man swallows earbud while sleeping

Warning after US man swallows earbud while sleeping

February 7, 2021

Boston: A man is warning people against using headphones while falling asleep after healthcare workers had to remove a wireless earbud from his oesophagus.

Worcester, Massachusetts, resident Brad Gauthier, who detailed his bizarre experience in a Facebook post, went to bed on Monday listening to music. He woke up the next day, shovelled snow for about an hour, and then went inside to take a sip of water. But the liquid wouldn’t go down, and he had to lean over to drain it from his throat.

A US man has warned of the risks from wearing earbuds overnight.Credit:Crystal Cox/Business Insider

Gauthier also noticed he was missing one of his two wireless earbuds, which he said typically uses as he falls asleep.

Gauthier’s son suggested that perhaps his father had swallowed the earbud, which is exactly what an X-ray at a local emergency clinic revealed. The small plastic device was lodged in his lower oesophagus.

Gauthier said he never experienced more than minor discomfort. He told NBC Boston 10 that he wanted to share his experience to caution others not to sleep with their headphones.


Most Viewed in World

Source: Read Full Article