Two weeks of mourning for Prince Philip come to an end

Two weeks of mourning for Prince Philip come to an end

April 23, 2021

Two weeks of mourning for Prince Philip come to an end: Royals will resume official duties in full after limiting them and dressing in black in Duke’s memory

  • Since the death of the Queen’s consort the household has been in mourning
  • The family has worn black and only carried out official duties where appropriate 
  • Despite grieving the Queen has carried out a number of in-person engagements 

Royal mourning in memory of the Duke of Edinburgh will end for the monarchy and their households today.

Since the death of the Queen’s consort on April 9 the royal family has only carried out official duties where appropriate, and have dressed in black as a mark of respect when in public.

From today they will be able to carry out their normal official roles in full after observing the two-week period of mourning.

This comes as the family gets set to celebrate the birthday of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s son Prince Louis, as he turns three today.  

The monarchy may soon be back at work full-time, but as the Queen has said they are experiencing a period of ‘great sadness’.

Since the death of the Queen’s consort on April 9 the royal family has only carried out official duties where appropriate, and have dressed in black as a mark of respect when in public. Pictured, Philip’s funeral last week 

Despite grieving the Queen has carried out a number of in-person engagements – as have other members of her family – since the death of Philip who was aged 99

The monarchy may soon be back at work full-time, but as the Queen has said they are experiencing a period of ‘great sadness’.

The Queen was seen driving through Windsor to take her dogs for a walk as she marked her 95th birthday earlier this week, without her ‘strength and stay’ of 73 years. 

The monarch – who was recently gifted two new corgi puppies by Prince Andrew – was pictured leaving Windsor Castle on Wednesday in a green Jaguar Estate after the ‘low-key’ birthday celebrations, believed to have included several family members and her closest aides. 

In her first comments since Prince Philip’s death, the monarch thanked well-wishers across the globe for the tributes paid to her husband which have ‘deeply touched’ the royal family.

The Queen said she and her family were in a ‘period of great sadness’ but were comforted by words of praise for Philip, who died peacefully at Windsor aged 99.

In her first comments since Prince Philip’s death, the monarch thanked well-wishers across the globe for the tributes paid to her husband which have ‘deeply touched’ the royal family 

Her Majesty said in a statement: ‘I have, on the occasion of my 95th birthday today, received many messages of good wishes, which I very much appreciate.

‘While as a family we are in a period of great sadness, it has been a comfort to us all to see and to hear the tributes paid to my husband, from those within the United Kingdom, the Commonwealth and around the world.

‘My family and I would like to thank you all for the support and kindness shown to us in recent days. 

‘We have been deeply touched, and continue to be reminded that Philip had such an extraordinary impact on countless people throughout his life.’  

Despite grieving the Queen has carried out a number of in-person engagements – as have other members of her family – since the death of Philip who was aged 99.

The monarch formally welcomed her new Lord Chamberlain Baron Parker to his post ahead of the duke’s funeral during a ceremony she hosted.

On Wednesday, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge joined air cadets based in London in honouring Philip’s memory, during their first joint public event since his death.

And the Princess Royal opened a garden of commemoration and remembrance at the Gloucestershire Royal Hospital.

Source: Read Full Article