The new face of ISIS who has killed 23 people alreadyFebruary 22, 2019
A terrorist in his 60s has rose through the ranks to become the new face of Islamic death cult ISIS in the Philippines.
Hatib Sawadjaan is now touted as the new leader of the terror group and is believed to have masterminded a January 27 attack which killed 23 people.
A further 100 people were injured in the bombing in Jolo Cathedral in the Philippines.
A huge bomb exploded during Sunday mass in what was believed to be a targeted attack on Roman Catholics.
ISIS later claimed responsibility for the mass murders.
The attack led to the US Department of Defence naming Sawadjaan as the figurehead of the group in that region.
It is believed he was installed as leader in a ceremony last year.
Unlike his predecessors, Sawadjaan has never received foreign training and has yet to be given a new name.
His rise to the top of the group comes days after it emerged ISIS has stashed away a fortune to launch a fresh wave of global attacks.
Britain is feared to be a target as the terrorists reel from a military onslaught in Iraq and Syria.
The terror group’s war chest is thought to hold millions of pounds, a UN report said.
The UN Security Council report said its assets have been “largely hidden from view – with a strategic intent still focused on larger-scale attacks once the opportunity re-emerges”.
The UN thinks IS has up to 18,000 heavily-armed diehard fighters, despite President Trump’s claim in December the group is beaten.
Earlier this month, US-backed Kurdish forces launched a push against IS in east Syria.
But the operation was slowed by land mines, sniper fire and IS use of human shields.
US officials said IS has lost 99.5% of its territory, holding less than two square miles. But residents said IS sleeper cells in Syria and Iraq are preparing for action.
The UN report said IS commanders ordered funds to be hidden as they were besieged in their Iraqi and Syria former HQ’s Mosul and Raqqa.
Top news stories from Mirror Online
Source: Read Full Article