Terrified horse is impaled on post after being spooked by fireworks

Terrified horse is impaled on post after being spooked by fireworks

November 6, 2019

Terrified horse Harry is left impaled on wooden post after being spooked by fireworks and trying to flee his paddock

  • Harry the horse found impaled on a fence post in Holywell, Wales, on Saturday 
  • RSPCA inspector Jenny Anderton believes he was lying there in pain all night 
  • Owner of stables where Harry was kept said she had ‘never seen anything like’ it

A horse is lucky to be alive after it impaled itself on a fence when it was frightened by fireworks.  

The horse, named Harry, was found on Saturday impaled by a fence post in Holywell, north Wales, after he tried to escape his enclosure when he was spooked by the sound of nearby pyrotechnics. 

RSPCA inspector Jenny Anderton said: ‘The horse must have been laying there all night and it took us until 1pm to get him out, get him up and get him on a wagon for the vets to attempt surgery on his very serious wounds, caused by impaling himself on the hedge and fencing.

Harry the horse was found impaled on a fence post after trying to escape his enclosure in Holywell, north Wales, because he was scared of the fireworks 

RSPCA inspector Jenny Anderton said: ‘The horse must have been laying there all night and it took us until 1pm to get him out’

‘We of course don’t know for definite, but it seems pretty likely that Harry was frightened by nearby fireworks that were set off.’ 

The horse was eventually freed by his owner and a vet with the help of two RSPCA officers.

Lily Roberts, the owner of the stables where Harry was kept, said she had ‘never seen anything like’ it.

She said: ‘He had crushed the hedge and we had to cut the hedge around him. It was just horrible. I had never seen anything like this before.’

She told the Mirror: ‘We strongly believe that Harry was so frightened from the continuous banging of fireworks all evening that he ran away and decided to take on the five foot hedge in front of him.

Lily Roberts, the owner of the stables where Harry was kept, said she had ‘never seen anything like’ it

‘I am sick of seeing animals and humans suffer unnecessarily for these things. There are so many fantastic free fireworks displays around – stop setting them off in your back garden.

‘I will be working with local authorities and the RSPCA to prevent things like this happening again.’ 

The RSPCA said it received 400 calls about animals affected by fireworks in England and Wales last year, and has launched a campaign, Bang Out Of Order, to campaign on the issue. 

Among the measures it wants to see implemented are noise restrictions on publicly available fireworks, and restrictions which see their sale limited to the time around Bonfire Night, New Year’s Eve, Chinese New Year and Diwali.

Ms Anderton added: ‘We really hope Harry recovers – it is just so sad to think how frightened he must have been and then in so much distress while he was impaled.

Susan Paterson, from Wombwell, South Yorkshire, told how Molly the terrier (pictured left with her sister Sally) was so terrified of the fireworks that she ‘died of fright’ on Saturday

‘This incident really does show what the effects of fireworks can be and we urge people to be mindful of the animals around them when setting fireworks off.’

And Harry’s accident comes just one day after an 18-week-old terrier puppy died from a heart attack because she was so scared of fireworks. 

Susan Paterson, from Wombwell, South Yorkshire, told how Molly the terrier was so terrified of the bangers that she ‘died of fright’ on Saturday. 

Sharing adorable photos of little Molly, Susan wrote: ‘Due to the enormous amount of fireworks with loud bangs going off around Wombwell and lower Darfield last night, we lost a young terrier with a heart attack’

Sharing adorable photos of little Molly, Susan wrote: ‘Due to the enormous amount of fireworks with loud bangs going off around Wombwell and lower Darfield last night, we lost a young terrier with a heart attack. 

‘Please think of the animals. Molly was only 18 weeks old and died of FRIGHT caused by fireworks.

‘Please support FAB Anti Random Fireworks page and sign their petition (sic).’ 

In a follow-up post on Sunday, Susan said she and her family are ‘still trying to make sense of what happened’ and are ‘dreading the fireworks again tonight’. Pictured: Molly the puppy

Source: Read Full Article