Seven Manchester attack pictures circulating on social media that are FAKE – as Twitter users rush to share information in wake of suicide bombing

Seven Manchester attack pictures circulating on social media that are FAKE – as Twitter users rush to share information in wake of suicide bombing

January 29, 2022

SICK fraudsters flooded the internet with dozens of false claims in an attempt to trick worried social media users in the aftermath of Manchester attack.

Within just a couple of hours after the suicide bombing which killed 22 people, trolls had started spreading lies about the identity of the victims.

The misleading posts were then shared in good faith by members of the public keen to help.

In addition to fake information about supposedly missing people, one prankster claimed there was a second violent attack nearby.

One widely shared image appeared to show Ariana Grande – who was performing at the Manchester Arena minutes before the bomb was let off in the lobby – covered in blood.


But in fact the blood was fake and the image dated back to 2015, when the star was filming for TV show Scream Queens.

Several people claimed their friends or relatives had been at the concert in Manchester and were now missing – but attached photographs of people who were in fact safe and well.

One Twitter user wrote: "My friend's little daughter was with her friends & they called us & said they lost her at the #Ariana concert in #Manchester."

However, the photograph he attached instead showed a girl from California who is currently in hospital recovering from having a tree fall on her head.


Another user, calling herself Kylie Manser, posted an image of a young boy with Down's syndrome, claiming it was her missing brother Frank.

In fact, the image showed a child model named Griffin whose image is widely available online.

Similarly, a composite image with 25 people said to be missing features several YouTube personalities who were not at the concert.

And information was incorrectly circulated claiming that a large number of unaccompanied children were being looked after at a local Holiday Inn.


A video has circulated showing a man covering his face while claiming responsibility for the Manchester attack on behalf of ISIS.

There is no evidence that the clip was actually produced by Islamic State fighters, and Middle East analysts say it is unlikely to be authentic.

One Facebook troll even attempted to spread panic by claiming there was a gunman at Oldham Hospital, seven miles from the Manchester Arena.

It is not entirely clear why there has been such a concerted attempt to share false information in the wake of last night's tragedy.

MOST READ IN NEWS

MONSTER ON THE STREETS

Chilling moment rapist carries woman along the streets before attack

OH NO, JOE

Comedian Joe Lycett sparks chaos after 'leaking' Sue Gray report on Twitter

ROYALS' FEAR

Charles & William 'in bid to stop Andrew fighting sex abuse case in court'

FAMILY'S FURY

Monster gave Angel a life sentence but he'll be out in two years, say family

Some of the posts involved have received thousands of shares and retweets – suggesting that some fraudsters may simply by hoping to drive up their number of followers.

Asked about the phenomenon this morning, former Cabinet minister Tessa Jowell called on big social networks to be "better citizens" by cracking down on the spread of misinformation.

    Source: Read Full Article