Pub boss is ordered to pay £3,000 for mouldy pies, unrefrigerated meat

Pub boss is ordered to pay £3,000 for mouldy pies, unrefrigerated meat

May 11, 2022

Pub boss is ordered to pay £3,000 after food hygiene inspectors find mouldy pies, unrefrigerated meat next to tools and paint and a fisherman’s pie stored on a dirty storeroom floor

  • Pub boss Richard Maley, from Bridgend, Vale of Glamorgan, was fined £3,000
  • Food hygiene inspectors  found mouldy meat pies and unrefrigerated meat 
  • Maley, who is no longer associated with the pub, committed offences in 2016

A former pub boss has been fined more than £3,000 after hygiene inspectors found mouldy food and unrefrigerated meat stored next to tools and paint. 

When inspectors visited the George and Dragon in Alrewas, Staffordshire they found ‘extensive’ mould growing on meat pies and fisherman’s pie stored unrefrigerated on the floor of a dirty storeroom.

Richard Maley, 50, from Bridgend, Vale of Glamorgan, was the director of the company running the pub and restaurant when the offences occurred in 2016. 

He has now admitted four charges of failing to comply with the Food Safety and Hygiene Regulations. 

Maley is no longer associated with the restaurant, which now has a five-star hygiene rating and has been hailed as ‘well run’ by council bosses.

He had been due to attend North Staffordshire Justice Centre in 2017, but failed to turn up. 

Small cooked pies, a packet of peas, and a portion of fisherman’s pie stored unrefrigerated on an unclean floor in the storeroom

Inspectors found ‘extensive’ mould growing on meat pies and fisherman’s pie stored unrefrigerated on the floor of a dirty storeroom

Richard Maley, 50, from Bridgend, Vale of Glamorgan, was the director of the company running the pub and restaurant when the offences occurred in 2016

Two uncovered homemade cooked meat pies were found, as were a tub of uncovered cooked chicken, ham-and-leek filling, a covered jug of gravy and a covered jug of diced sausage and bacon stored unrefrigerated next to a box of DIY waste on dirty stairs

The stainless steel gram fridge in the storeroom was not operating and the shelving and base inside was rusty and heavily soiled with grease and food debris

Maley had been due to attend North Staffordshire Justice Centre in 2017, but failed to turn up

Lichfield District Council, which prosecuted him, said after the case: ‘His food safety offences presented a high risk of harm to the public and although Mr Maley is no longer associated with the premises, we were determined to follow through on the enforcement.’

At the time of the offences, Maley was the director of the Double R Pub Co Ltd. He pleaded guilty to a charge of placing on the market food which was unsafe either because it was ‘injurious to health’ or unfit for human consumption.

Referenced by the council were a baked apple containing a used non-food-safe wood working chisel and a cooked homemade meat pie exposed to contamination and showing extensive mould growth on the surface. Small cooked meat pies were exposed to contamination and showing extensive mould growth on the surface.

A container of cooked tomatoes was exposed to contamination, showing extensive mould growth on the surface, the court was told. 

In a second charge, Maley admitted failing to ensure raw materials and ingredients were kept in appropriate conditions to prevent harmful deterioration and protect them from contamination.

In particular, there was an uncovered joint of roast pork stored unrefrigerated on a tray stored next to tools and paint. 

There were also tubs of food – including part-cooked bacon, part-cooked sausages and cooked tomatoes – stored unrefrigerated and next to a bottle labelled ‘cleanPro +’, which is an odour neutraliser.

There was a part-covered joint of cooked pork stored unrefrigerated underneath a dirty air conditioning unit. There were also small cooked pies, a packet of peas and a portion of fisherman’s pie stored unrefrigerated on an unclean floor in the storeroom, the court heard.

Two uncovered homemade cooked meat pies were found, as were a tub of uncovered cooked chicken, ham-and-leek filling, a covered jug of gravy and a covered jug of diced sausage and bacon stored unrefrigerated next to a box of DIY waste on dirty stairs.

The latter were next to an open rear door leading to the beer garden. Maley also pleaded guilty to failing to ensure the premises were kept clean, well maintained and in good repair.

The storeroom floor had a build-up of dirt and food debris on it and the plastered storeroom walls were damaged in places, with flaking paint, mould growth and food debris on them.

At the time of the offences, Maley was the director of the Double R Pub Co Ltd. He pleaded guilty to a charge of placing on the market food which was unsafe either because it was ‘injurious to health’ or unfit for human consumption

In a second charge, Maley admitted failing to ensure raw materials and ingredients were kept in appropriate conditions to prevent harmful deterioration and protect them from contamination

Referenced by the council were a baked apple containing a used non-food-safe wood working chisel and a cooked homemade meat pie exposed to contamination and showing extensive mould growth on the surface

The hand contact areas, including plug sockets and door surfaces, were heavily soiled with dirt, the council told the court

Maley was fined £1,280 and ordered to pay £1,800 court costs and a £32 victim surcharge

Another accusation Maley admitted was failing to ensure all articles, fittings and equipment with which food comes into contact were effectively cleaned and disinfected

Two microwaves in the kitchen were soiled with food debris and the inside of the oven in the kitchen was soiled with food debris. The hand towel dispensers in the kitchen were soiled with grease and dirt

The hand contact areas, including plug sockets and door surfaces, were heavily soiled with dirt, the council told the court. The walls in the kitchen behind the frying range were heavily soiled with grease and food debris – and the floor in the kitchen was soiled with grease and food debris, it said.

Another accusation Maley admitted was failing to ensure all articles, fittings and equipment with which food comes into contact were effectively cleaned and disinfected. In particular, the stainless steel gram fridge in the storeroom was not operating and the shelving and base inside was rusty and heavily soiled with grease and food debris.

A freezer needed defrosting and was soiled with dirt and food debris. A disused chest freezer on which a container of baked apples was stored was soiled with non-food debris and the wire shelving racks in the first storeroom were soiled with dirt, the council said.

There were used cooking pots and utensils in the storeroom soiled with food debris and some were mouldy. There were dishes used to cook pies stored in the first storeroom on wire shelving soiled with food debris, the hearing was told.

Two microwaves in the kitchen were soiled with food debris and the inside of the oven in the kitchen was soiled with food debris. The hand towel dispensers in the kitchen were soiled with grease and dirt.

Maley was fined £1,280 and ordered to pay £1,800 court costs and a £32 victim surcharge.

After the case, Councillor Angela Lax, the council’s cabinet member for regulatory, housing and health, said: ‘We take this kind of offence very seriously. Food business operators who do not maintain safe and hygienic standards must be accountable for their actions.

‘The case against Mr Maley should have been heard in 2017 but the defendant did not attend the hearing. His food safety offences presented a high risk of harm to the public and, although Mr Maley is no longer associated with the premises, we were determined to follow through on the enforcement.

‘The current food business operator at the premises, who has been in place since 2018, has a food hygiene rating of five – very good. We are pleased that the premises has been well managed ever since our intervention.’

Source: Read Full Article