Mother who killed her toddler twins will NOT face murder trialJune 11, 2019
Mother who killed her toddler twins then crashed her car on a dual carriageway will NOT face murder trial after court sees psychiatric reports
- Samantha Ford, 38, has admitted manslaughter by diminished responsibility
- It follows deaths of 23-month-old toddlers Jake and Chloe in Kent last December
- She had been involved in smash with a lorry at 3am on December 27 last year
- She told them to check her home and police found the dying infants inside
A mother who killed her 23-month-old twin son and daughter will no longer face a murder trial, the Old Bailey heard today.
Samantha Ford, 38, admitted manslaughter by diminished responsibility following the deaths of toddlers Jake and Chloe and the prosecution accepted her plea today.
She had been involved in a smash with a lorry on the London-bound carriageway of the A299 Thanet Way in Kent shortly before 3am on December 27.
Samantha Ford, 38, was charged with murdering 23-month-old twins Jake and Chloe after police found the infants. Her husband Steven Ford is pictured (right) at the Old Bailey today
Steven Ford (right) her husband of five years, previously paid tribute to the twins on Facebook
When police arrived at Mrs Ford’s home in Margate, Kent, they found the toddlers dead
When rescuers arrived, she told them to check her home in Westwood, near Margate, because her babies were there.
Police found the dying infants inside and paramedics tried to save them, but they were pronounced dead at hospital.
Ford, of Westwood, later admitted she had drowned the children after the breakdown of her marriage. They are thought to have died on Boxing Day.
Ford was excused from the today’s hearing when prosecutor Edward Brown QC confirmed the Crown Prosecution Service had accepted her pleas to manslaughter.
‘My Lord gave the prosecution time on the last occasion to consider whether the pleas entered on the last occasion were acceptable to the Crown,’ he told the judge.
Mr Ford is pictured with both his twins in an image posted to his Facebook account
Mrs Ford (left), Mr Ford ( right) and the twins posing with Santa Claus at Christmas
The twins were found dead in their beds in the early hours of December 27 after Mrs Ford was involved in a crash on the A299
‘We, that is the prosecution team, have considered all the reports and all of the facts of this case very carefully. It is a case of great sensitivity, as My Lord will appreciate.
‘We have taken instructions from those instructing me and the father of the deceased children, who has of course been consulted in respect of this case, and the result of those consultations, advice and instructions given to me are that those pleas are acceptable and the Crown does not ask for a trial in respect of the two counts of murder.’
Mr Justice Edis adjourned sentencing to July 26, when he will consider a disposal under the mental health act.
The senior judge accepted the prosecution’s decision, saying the reasons would become ‘obvious’ at the next hearing.
Devastated neighbours left soft toy tributes outside the home in Margate, Kent
Mr Ford has paid tribute to his young children on a number of occasions on social media
Ford is understood to have moved to the rented house after purchasing a home with Steven Ford, her husband of five years, in nearby Ashford 12 months earlier.
Mr Ford sat in the well of the court flanked by a number of supporters during the hearing today.
He has posted a series of pictures of the children on Twitter since their death, describing them as his ‘beautiful babies’.
After the killings he tweeted: ‘Daddy’s twins xxx my beautiful babies. I love you.’
Source: Read Full Article