Mary Kay Letourneau and Vili Fualaau Are Living Separately: 'It's Long Overdue,' Says Source

Mary Kay Letourneau and Vili Fualaau Are Living Separately: 'It's Long Overdue,' Says Source

April 16, 2019

Mary Kay Letourneau and Vili Fualaau are no longer sharing a home, a source close to Letourneau tells PEOPLE.

“It’s completely over,” the source says. “They’re not living together, they’re speaking cordially when they have to, but there’s nothing left anymore. Frankly, it’s long overdue at this point; neither of them were happy.”

The source, who has known Letourneau for years, says the marriage began to deteriorate several years ago but that the couple continued to work towards reconciliation.

“It’s easy to think that the marriage was doomed based on how they met,” says the source, “but the reasons behind the breakup of their marriage were actually pretty common. They just couldn’t get on the same page anymore. They’re too different.”

The couple’s controversial relationship began when Fualaau was just 12 years old and Letourneau was his sixth-grade teacher. They soon began to have sex. Ultimately, she was sentenced to more than seven years in prison for child rape in connection with their relationship. She twice became pregnant with Fualaau’s children before he was 15, despite court orders aimed at keeping them apart. 

By the time she was released from prison, Fualaau was an adult — and he petitioned the court to allow them to see each other. The restraining order was dropped, but Letourneau remains a registered sex offender in Washington state.

The couple married in 2005, despite the criminal history of their relationship.

Letourneau, 57, and Fualaau, 35, often slept in separate rooms before the split. “The intimacy was gone,” the source says. “That’s not to say they didn’t love each other, but it wasn’t what it used to be.”

Fualaau filed for legal separation in 2017. Despite their reconciliation attempts since then, PEOPLE confirms a legal filing with the King County Superior Court stating the couple is moving forward with private arbitration to finalize their split.

“I’m not surprised that they got married,” Letourneau’s lawyer and friend David Gehrke told PEOPLE in 2017, after the couple first announced their plans to split before they later attempted to reconcile. “And I’m not surprised, in this day and age, that they are separating.”

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

Even after the split, Letourneau and Fualaau still lived together. They were occasionally spotted out in the Seattle area. They both remain active in the lives of their two daughters, Georgia and Audrey.

But ultimately, the source says, the couple finally had to call it quits.

“They tried everything,” the Letourneau source says. “But it was like a house of cards. They’d start building the house, and then it would fall apart. And then they’d start building again, and it would fall again. They just couldn’t get anything solid to work.”

Source: Read Full Article