Majorca tourists evacuated after hotel ceiling collapses – with two hurt after cave-in caused by 'gas leak'April 9, 2022
TOURISTS have been evacuated after a hotel ceiling collapsed and seriously injured two people.
One woman, 57, was trapped under rubble for more than an hour after the hotel gym fell on the kitchen.
She suffered several injuries including to the face at the three-star Bluesea Piscis Hotel in Puerto de Alcudia, Majorca. Another Spanish man, 59, suffered head injuries.
They were both rescued and taken to hospital. Several others were treated for minor injuries at the scene.
Unconfirmed reports suggested a gas leak caused this afternoon's incident, in which some gym machines fell to the lower floor.
Around 325 people are understood to have been guests at the adult-only hotel.
READ MORE WORLD NEWS
Ukrainian’s inspiring vid to family in US that ‘victory will soon be ours’
Boris Johnson meets Ukrainian president Zelensky in war-torn capital Kyiv
Some of the holidaymakers, who are believed to include British tourists, are expected to spend the night at a nearby three-star resort called Hotel Bellevue Club.
Firefighters said in an initial statement: “Working at the Bluesea Piscis Hotel in Puerto de Alcudia following the collapse of the gym on the kitchen.
“Two people have been rescued and are being attended to by paramedics.
“We continue to review the affected structure of the building. Customers are being relocated to other hotels.”
Source: Read Full Article