Libby Squire murder suspect 'smirked when police accused him of killing 21-year-old student'

Libby Squire murder suspect 'smirked when police accused him of killing 21-year-old student'

January 22, 2021

A BUTCHER accused of raping and murdering student Libby Squire was "smirking" when police accused him of killing her, a jury has been told.

Sheffield Crown Court heard that after Pawel Relowicz, 26, was arrested, he made a brief statement denying any involvement before refusing to answer questions from police.

At the beginning of one interview, in August 2019, an officer put it to Relowicz that "the only reason she is dead is because you killed her", and then asked him why he was laughing.

The jury was told that the officer then asked the defendant: "What's so funny?" and "Why are you smirking?"

Prosecutor Richard Woolfall told the jury that Relowicz replied: "No comment."

The 26-year-old Polish-born father-of-two, from Raglan Street, Hull, denies raping and murdering 21-year-old Ms Squire in the city.

Libby was allegedly driven to a remote playing field by the butcher, where she was raped, murdered then dumped in a river.

The Hull University philosophy student went missing in the early hours of February 1, 2019, following a night out.

She was discovered six weeks later on March 20, 2019, in the Humber estuary by a fishing boat – a gold necklace bearing the letter 'L' still hanging around her neck.

Also on Friday, a leading expert on hypothermia told the jury that Ms Squire's decision-making would have been "significantly impaired" in the lead-up to her disappearance due to the cold and the amount of alcohol she had drunk.

Ms Squire had been refused entry to a nightclub and got a taxi back to her street, but, instead of going home, she wandered to nearby Beverley Road, the jury has heard.

The prosecution alleges that Ms Squire got into Relowicz's car and was then driven to nearby playing fields.


Professor Charles Deakin, who is a consultant in cardiac anaesthesia and intensive care at University Hospital Southampton, said the temperature in Hull at 10.20pm on January 31 was -2C, rising to 0C by midnight.

And because Ms Squire was wearing light clothing with 38 per cent of her skin exposed, he concluded this would have left her with some of the early symptoms of hypothermia, including some degree of confusion and poor judgment.

The professor told the jury: "She would have been shivering quite significantly, suffering from numb hands and fingers, her coordination would likely have been impaired to some extent, not only from the cold but also from the alcohol."

Prof Deakin said Ms Squire is likely to have been unsteady on her feet and to have felt tired.

He said: "I think it's very likely that the temperature alone, but also the alcohol, would have contributed to poor judgment and some sort of confusion.

"I think she is likely to have been quite vulnerable."

The professor said he believed Ms Squire's condition would have also impaired her ability to run, if she was trying to avoid danger.

Libby Squire's bruised body was found with "squeeze marks" on her neck, the court heard yesterday.

And CCTV has shown her suspected killer, Pawel Relowicz, "going to McDonald's" after the murder of the 21-year-old student.

And the last person to see the 19-year-old student alive told jurors she was screaming "don't leave me," moments before being taken away.

Sainsbury's manager Matthew Handisides told the court earlier this week he was walking home when he saw Libby sitting on the ground.

He added: "She was yelling, not towards me but to the car or the shadows, 'don't leave me'.

"I made an assessment that she was very intoxicated.

"The 'don't leave me' was more angry or cross rather than pleading or anything like that."

The jury had been told the prosecution is likely to conclude its case later on Friday.

Source: Read Full Article