Last person to have seen Libby Squire heard her yell 'Don't leave me!'

Last person to have seen Libby Squire heard her yell 'Don't leave me!'

January 18, 2021

Last person to have seen Libby Squire alive heard her yell ‘Don’t leave me!’ – hours before Polish butcher is said to have raped and murdered the 21-year-old student

  • Butcher Pawel Relowicz, 26, is accused of finding student ‘drunk and vulnerable’ 
  • Stalked her before picking her up, raping her and dumping her body, jury heard
  • Today court heard from the last people to see student alive on February 1, 2019 

The last person known to have seen Libby Squire alive heard her scream ‘don’t leave me’ just moments before she disappeared, a court heard today.

Polish butcher Pawel Relowicz, 26, is accused of finding the 21-year-old ‘drunk and vulnerable’ and ‘stalking’ her before picking her up in his car, raping her, then dumping her body.

Sainsbury’s manager Matthew Handisides told Sheffield Crown Court today that he was walking home down Beverley Road in Hull when he noticed the drunken student.

Polish butcher Pawel Relowicz, 26, (left) is accused of finding Libby Squire (right) ‘drunk and vulnerable’ and ‘stalking’ her before picking her up in his car and raping her

He said his attention was initially grabbed by a car with its headlights on before he was drawn to a ‘movement in the shadows’.

He said: ‘I noticed a young girl or lady on the ground. She was sat with her legs akimbo [with hands on the hips and elbows turned outwards].

‘She was yelling, not towards me but to the car or the shadows, ‘don’t leave me’. I made an assessment that she was very intoxicated. The ‘don’t leave me’ was more angry or cross rather than pleading or anything like that.’

Mr Handisides said he thought the car was of medium size but that he couldn’t make out its colour or if anyone was inside it because of the light.

He added he assumed the stricken woman was talking to her partner, although there was no mention of one, and carried on walking home.

‘From being a student myself I have plenty of female friends and have seen those kinds of interactions on nights out,’ he said.

‘Although I didn’t see a boyfriend, the way she was saying it was similar to how I’d seen my friends interact with their boyfriends.’

Mr Relowicz, of Hull, denies raping and murdering the philosophy student on February 1 2019

Prosecutor Mr Wright asked if he saw her again, to which the witness replied ‘no’. He also replied ‘no’ when asked if he saw any other man close to her at the time.

Mr Relowicz, of Hull, denies raping and murdering the philosophy student on February 1 2019.

A court earlier heard Relowicz had ‘uncontrollable sexual urges’ and previous convictions for ‘sexually motivated’ crimes in which he ‘prowled’ around the city’s student area.

This morning, Sheffield Crown Court heard evidence from three of Libby’s friends who were with her hours before she disappeared on January 31.

Libby’s housemate Amelia Cummins said they began drinking while getting ready at home before going on to a house party and a club.

In a written statement read by the prosecution, she said: ‘We all had a good time, Libby was happy and funny. She was laughing and generally enjoying herself.

‘Libby appeared fine in herself and didn’t appear to have anything worrying her or any concerns.’

Ms Cummins said they began getting ready at around 7.30pm and that Libby drunk two large vodka cranberries followed by a vodka coke and a bottle of wine after moving on to a friend’s house.

At the house, she chatted with a friend from her philosophy course at the University of Hull called Nathan Murphy, the court heard.

In a statement read about by the prosecution, he said: ‘Libby was in good spirits. She was welcoming and friendly.

‘Other than being cold and drunk she seemed fine in all other respects.’

Libby left the house party for a club at around 11pm, Ms Cummins said, but that she was ‘struggling walking’.

A court artist’s sketch of Pawel Relowicz (in blue) sitting in Sheffield Crown Court earlier in the trial 

In a statement, Libby’s other housemate Chloe Wise said: ‘As we walked to the club Libby’s level of intoxication became more noticeable.

‘I was of the belief that the fresh air might have hit her.’

After being refused entry to the club for being ‘too drunk’ Ms Cummins and Ms Wise put Libby into a taxi and sent her back to their shared house, the court heard.

The court also heard from two more witnesses who spotted Libby on the street before she vanished.

University of Hull mechanical engineering student Joshua Scott said he was walking home from work at around 11.45am when he saw her.

Miss Squire died in Hull two years ago

In a statement read out by the prosecution, he said: ‘The female looked really drunk and seemed unable to stand. She was being loud, either singing or shouting, but she didn’t seem distressed.’

Mr Scott said by the time he got to the woman she was already being helped by Mr Jones, who the court heard from this morning, so he carried on walking home.

Today, Richard Woolfall, prosecuting, read a statement from witness Lorna Allen, who saw Ms Squire in Beverley Road shortly before midnight on January 31 2019.

Mr Woolfall told the jury that Ms Allen said: ‘I saw a girl on the other side of the road, at the bus stop near Haworth Street.

‘She was lying on the floor and crying and screaming. She was in a state. I couldn’t understand her because she was drunk.’

The statement continued: ‘She was lying flat-out on the floor, on her right side.

‘She was slurring her words and talking to herself and she seemed very drunk. I said to her ‘Are you all right?’ She replied ‘I just want to go home’.

Another witness told police she saw Ms Squire ‘sobbing’ and saying that she was trying to get to Wellesley Avenue – where she lived with three other students – and a group of men, who saw her get out of a taxi near her home, described how they saw her fall as she walked away, the court heard.

Mr Woolfall also read the statement of Hannah Wright, a student who heard Ms Squire ‘crying and sobbing’ outside her house and invited her inside.

Ms Wright said in her statement: ‘She didn’t say anything coherent. She was crying, sobbing, rambling. She appeared to me to be drunk.’

The witness said she and her housemates tried to find out Ms Squire’s name and address but said she was ‘not forthcoming with information’ and she left after being in the house for around five minutes.

Roland Jacobs told the court that he tried to help Ms Squire after seeing her lying on the ground in the snow as he and a friend drove home from a darts match.

He said: ‘I said ‘Stop the car’. I realised what it was – it was a girl laid there on the floor. I wouldn’t like to see my daughter in that state.’

He added: ‘She was just mumbling things but I couldn’t understand what she was actually saying.’

Mr Jacobs said Ms Squire asked him to lie on the ground with her, and later asked him for a hug but he refused.

He said she began swearing at him.

The court heard that Mr Jacobs helped Ms Squire off the ground and on to a wall before deciding to ‘give up on it as a bad job’ and driving away after around 10 minutes.

The trial continues. 

Source: Read Full Article