JonBenét Ramsey's brother reveals why he thinks cops suspect mom & says police haven't done enough to find killerDecember 25, 2021
THE brother of murdered pageant queen JonBenét Ramsey has revealed he thinks cops still suspect her mother Patsy of killing the six-year-old.
John Andrew Ramsey exclusively told The Sun on the 25th anniversary of his young sister's death that he feels cops have not done enough to find her killer.
He has pushed for DNA testing to be used to narrow down the suspects after other high-profile cases such as the Golden State Killer were solved using online genealogy and ancestry sites.
The Boulder, Colorado, police announced in a statement on Monday that it had not ruled out using DNA but did not reveal if it was planning to use the genealogy site tactic.
"If they’re not talking to Othram, Bodie, and Parabon [genealogy labs], that’s bad indicators," John Andrew told The Sun.
"If they don’t have training in complex cold case homicides. It’s not reassuring.
"I give them an A-minus for media strategy," he added.
"I don’t have much confidence in the investigative value in what they told the public. I think a lot more should be done."
John Andrew was 23 when JonBenét was found murdered on December 26, 1996.
Most read in The Sun
ON HIS WAY!
Santa tracker LIVE – Where is Father Christmas now & when will he visit me?
ON HIS WAY!
Hamilton WILL retire after Abu Dhabi controversy, says Bernie Ecclestone
Man Utd Treble winner looks unrecognisable with long hair and beard
Dozens of Apple workers WALKOUT on Christmas Eve & urge customer boycott
He was in Atlanta for the holidays when dad John and stepmom Patsy reported JonBenét missing before finding her body in the basement of the family home eight hours later.
Cops were initially suspicious of JonBenét's parents as well as her older brother Burke, who were all at the home at the time she was killed.
Yet they were cleared in 2008 after DNA from an unidentified third party was found on the young girl's clothes.
John Andrew believes this DNA could be crucial to cracking the case.
"It’s an unresolved match in her underwear and waistband," he said.
"That’s a very relative bit of information.
"I’ve had a handful of meetings [with the police] that I’ve requested over the years," he added.
"The purpose was to encourage them to pursue DNA testing but it’s a one-sided relationship.
"They don’t say anything to me. They just say It’s an ongoing investigation."
JonBenét's death was ruled a homicide but nobody has ever been charged.
It has become one of the highest-profile mysteries in the US as videos of the young girl competing in pageants were released to the public.
After her death, the family was immediately thought of as suspects by police.
A grand jury voted in 1999 to charge John and Patsy Ramsey with child abuse resulting in the first-degree murder of their daughter – but the district attorney refused to sign the indictment.
John Andrew believes that despite this, and the DNA clearing JonBenét's parents in 2008, the cops have their own idea.
"I think they still think Patsy did it," he told The Sun.
His step-mom, who was also a pageant queen, died in 2006 after a 13-year-battle with cancer.
It is speculated that Patsy may have killed JonBenét after a bedwetting incident, smashing the young girl's head on a blunt surface.
Sleuths point to the fact that a paintbrush from Patsy's paint kit had been used in a homemade garrotte to tighten a rope around JonBenét's neck.
The bizarre two-and-a-half-page ransom note left in the home on Christmas Day was also written on a piece of Patsy's stationery and using her own pen.
Yet handwriting analysis found it inconclusive that she wrote the note herself.
DAD CONTINUES FIGHT
John Andrew added that his father, who was also considered a suspect, continues to battle for justice for JonBenét a quarter of a century later.
"My dad has been working on this since day one. It’s exhausting work. The highs and lows take a toll," he said.
"Maybe this is the guy – and it takes forever to even get to that point – and then it turns out not to be him and you hit a dead end and you go back to square one.
"You’re reliving the trauma every time you do it.
"He was measured. He always told everyone to chill out and wait for something definitive which is impressive. I rode the highs and lows." John Andrew added.
"I saw a headline on the news and would get excited and then be let down."
He claimed that in dealing with the Boulder police "if you read between the lines, it’s not a rosy picture."
It comes after the apprehension and release of several suspicious characters.
In 2000 a magazine cutout of JonBenét was found in the backpack of local Gary Oliva as he was apprehended on drug charges.
Oliva was a known sex offender in the area at the time of JonBenét's death.
He was soon released but suspicions remained.
However, in 2016 he was arrested again on child abuse charges and is currently serving a ten-year sentence.
On January 10, 2019, it was reported that he had claimed he killed JonBenét in a series of letters to a former high school classmate.
Oliva wrote in his letter, seen by DailyMailTV, from a Colorado prison: “I never loved anyone like I did JonBenét and yet I let her slip and her head bashed in half and I watched her die. It was an accident.”
Cops have cleared Oliva using DNA, however.
Another potential suspect killed himself just two days after a 1997 press conference said that cops were narrowing in on a new name.
Electrician Michael Helgoth had reportedly been in a property dispute with the Ramseys.
He was also cleared by DNA.
DNA was used to clear John Mark Karr, a former school teacher who falsely confessed to killing JonBenét in 2006.
He was written off as a pedophile searching for fame after officials failed to verify he was ever in Boulder.
"I try to be objective," John Andrew said of the continued frustration in the case.
"I told them [Boulder police] we are all veterans of the same war. I don't have an ax to grind with you.
"I’m here to litigate the past and find the killer."
John Andrew said that his family keeps seeking JonBenét's killer in the hopes it will bring a "semblance of peace."
"A lot of people have been impacted by this; not just my family."
"There are a lot of families in my position pursuing justice for a loved one. We have the benefit of extra media attention and it’s not a bad thing.
"It’s a double-edged sword. We’re grateful that people interested 25 years."
Boulder police would not comment further on the case when approached by The Sun.
"The updated statement is the only information we're releasing at this time because it's still an active and ongoing investigation," it said, noting a press release issued last week.
The department said it has been working with state investigators on “future DNA advancements” as the case progresses.
“As the Department continues to use new technology to enhance the investigation, it is actively reviewing genetic DNA testing processes to see if those can be applied to this case moving forward,” it said.
The statement added that there have been nearly 1,000 DNA samples taken already.
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The US Sun team?
Email us at [email protected] or call 212 416 4552.
Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TheSunUS and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSunUS
Source: Read Full Article