Harry and Meghan's £88m Netflix docu-series 'will air NEXT MONTH'November 17, 2022
Harry and Meghan’s £88million Netflix docu-series ‘will air NEXT MONTH’, claim sources despite Sussexes’ pleas ‘for it to be pushed back until next year’
- Harry and Meghan have been working on the series as part of a rumoured $100 million (£88million) deal
- Netflix was believed to have been set to push back release of show until 2023 amid backlash over The Crown
- But a ‘senior source’ has told Page Six that it will be out in December despite Sussexes apparent reticence
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Netflix documentary will air within weeks, industry sources claimed today.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are reported to have tried to push it back to 2023 despite the streaming giant paying them a rumoured $100million (£88million) for the fly-on-the-wall series.
There have been mixed reports in the US, with Deadline insisting the show will be delayed until the new year citing bosses being ‘rattled’ and ‘blinking first’ because of the backlash over Season 5 of The Crown.
But Page Six reports today that there will be no postponement and ‘the show will go on’ in December, citing a source close to the project. The insider said: ‘As far as I am aware, the docuseries is still going ahead later this year.’
The show has made waves on both sides of the Atlantic and it is expected to cause fresh turmoil for the Royal Family. Harry also has his memoirs, named ‘Spare’, which is on the way. Royal experts claim these two bombshell projects have prevented any reconciliation with King Charles or Prince William.
But after the Queen’s death the Sussexes were said to have wanted to ‘downplay much of what they have said about Charles III, Queen Consort Camilla, and the Prince and Princess of Wales’ in their documentary series, according to a previous report.
Meghan Markle even appeared to distance herself and Prince Harry from their upcoming and controversial Netflix documentary around a month after Her Majesty’s passing. The Duchess of Sussex suggested that its direction is now in the hands of left-leaning filmmaker Liz Garbus ‘even if it means it may not be the way we would have told it’.
Harry and Meghan’s controversial fly-on-the-wall documentary series is still set to premiere on Netflix this year, sources have insisted. Pictured: The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are filmed hugging Team United Kingdom competitor Lisa Johnston at the Invictus Games athletics events in the Netherlands in April
Harry and Meghan had been working on the series as part of their rumoured $100 million (£88million) deal with the beleaguered streaming giant. But there has been toing and froing over when it will be released
She said in a magazine interview: ‘It’s nice to be able to trust someone with our story — a seasoned director whose work I’ve long admired — even if it means it may not be the way we would have told it. But that’s not why we’re telling it. We’re trusting our story to someone else, and that means it will go through their lens.
‘They want to be in the spotlight at any cost!’ Royal biographer slams Harry and Meghan for accepting prestigious human rights award
Harry and Meghan will be honoured with the Ripple of Hope Award at a gala organized by the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Foundation on December 6
A royal biographer has slammed Meghan Markle and Prince Harry for accepting a prestigious human rights award, claiming the ex-royal couple ‘want to be in the spotlight at any cost.’
Next month the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be honoured with the Ripple of Hope Award at a gala organized by the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Foundation.
The charity is named after former President Kennedy’s younger brother, who was assassinated in 1968 during his presidential campaign.
Its gong has previously gone to former presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama, President Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton, Vice President Kamala Harris, Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Desmond Tutu, Dr. Anthony Fauci, Apple CEO Tim Cook, anti-apartheid bishop Desmond Tutu, Colin Kaepernick and George Clooney.
But royal biographer Angela Levin told DailyMail.com in an exclusive interview that she believed Harry and Meghan’s charitable credentials were ‘fantasy laced with persuasion’ and questioned: ‘Are they really up there with earlier award winners?’
‘Whichever way you look at it, their alleged achievements seem fantasy laced with persuasion and who knows what else, rather than fact,’ Levin said.
‘Meghan and Harry have found it difficult to get close to A-list celebrities. They haven’t received invitations to all the right parties so perhaps the next best thing for them was to get on award lists where A-listers abound.
‘Meghan especially is giving the impression they will stop at nothing to get to the top. She should be careful as it could all crumple.’
‘It’s interesting. My husband has never worked in this industry before. For me, having worked on ‘Suits,’ it’s so amazing to be around so much creative energy and to see how people work together and share their own points of view. That’s been really fun.’
Garbus, who was also due to work on the Duchess’ series Pearl before it was scrapped by Netflix, is a documentarian and filmmaker and also helmed the last season of ‘The Handmaid’s Tale,’ which earned her an Emmy nomination in 2021.
The TV drama is an adaptation of Margaret Atwood’s novel, which became an instant feminist classic following the story of a woman named Offred, who is forced to live as ‘handmaid’ producing children against her will in a totalitarian North America.
Garbus has been involved in a host of other TV and film projects about oppressed women, notably including Girlhood, which follows two female inmates – victims of horrific violence and tragedy – who are serving time in a juvenile detention centre.
She has also had control over a documentary about the life and legend of singer, pianist and civil rights activist Nina Simone as well as a film called Shouting Fire: Stories from the Edge of Free Speech.
Meanwhile the director’s Instagram page is openly political, with recent posts urging for women’s abortion rights and comments about ‘brilliant’ Democratic gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams.
But a Netflix source added that the streaming platform was ‘standing by the filmmakers’ who want to keep the content in the project, and that it will still be ‘going forward.’
Previously, one Hollywood industry source said the couple were facing doubts about the series following the Queen’s death.
They said: ‘A lot of conversations are happening. I hear that Harry and Meghan want the series to be held until next year, they want to stall.
‘I wonder if the show could even be dead in the water at this point, do Harry and Meghan just want to shelve this thing?,’ they added.
A Netflix insider also claimed: ‘Netflix has been keen to have the show ready to stream for December. There’s a lot of pressure on (Netflix CEO) Ted Sarandos, who has the relationship with Harry and Meghan, to get this show finished.’
The new series of The Crown is also reportedly set to to cover the hours before the royal’s tragic death in Paris in August 1997.
William Shawcross, the Queen Mother’s official biographer, branded the series ‘odious’ and ‘deliberately hurtful’ over an apparently invented scene where Charles tells the Queen she should be ‘thrown… into jail’ for being a ‘bad mother’.
Netflix this week added fuel to the fire by refusing to add a disclaimer to the series stating that the scenes, branded ‘malicious’ by another royal expert, are not fact but fiction
Meanwhile, according to The Sun, even crew members are concerned in relation to the scenes depicting the lead up to Diana’s death, with one reportedly saying: ‘It feels as though a line is being crossed.’
One source close to Prince William told the paper that they expect the Prince of Wales will be angered by Netflix’s move to reproduce his mother’s final days for entertainment purposes.
Netflix insists Diana’s death, in a car crash in the Pont de l’Alma tunnel in central Paris, will not be recreated in the new series.
The Crown, created and written by Peter Morgan, has been a hit for Netflix since it was first released in 2016.
But a source told the Daily Mail this week that Morgan had become increasingly ‘uncomfortable’ as the series of The Crown edged closer to the present day.
They said: ‘The truth is that it was easier to write the earlier series because, firstly, there is a wealth of historical documentation, plus a consensus over more of what happened, and you can be more broad brush dramatically and people don’t find it hurtful.
Netflix is facing fury over plans to dramatise Princess Diana’s final moments before her tragic death in Paris in its new season of The Crown. Pictured: Elizabeth Debicki as Princess Diana in The Crown, season five
The hit series will cover the days and even hours before Princess Diana’s (pictured left: At a gala event in London in 1997) tragic death during her ill-fated trip to the French capital in August 1997. According to The Sun , even crew members are concerned in relation to the scenes depicting the lead-up to Diana’s death, with one reportedly saying: ‘It feels as though a line is being crossed.’ Pictured right: Actor Dominic West as Prince Charles and actress Elizabeth Debicki as Princess Diana while filming the new series of The Crown
‘Peter is always trying to get to the truth. There is always reams and reams of research. However, people are more loose lipped about Princess Margaret 50 years ago than John Major in 1991.
‘Peter is very aware of all of it and it is a struggle. He insisted on announcing that series five would be the last, even though Netflix didn’t want to announce it. It didn’t want to kill the golden goose.
‘Then, a few months, later he had changed his mind and he said that he was writing series six. But this will be it. He won’t go any further towards the present day. It’s already uncomfortable enough.’
The source added: ‘He is quite traumatised by the criticism. He has not done anything to be sensational. The show would be a different show if he sought the sensational.
‘He has not sought to trash the reputation of the Royal Family – I mean, he accepted a CBE. I think we can all accept that’s not going to turn into a knighthood.’
The storyline where Charles plots to oust his mother was branded a ‘barrel load of malicious nonsense’ by former prime minister Sir John Major as those close to the new monarch called for a boycott.
Critics argue the show should carry a warning that the ‘false, unfair and deeply wounding’ scenes are fiction, which not all viewers realise.
Royal insiders have previously described the programme as ‘trolling on a Hollywood scale’.
Charles III’s decision to promote his siblings for royal duties means Prince Harry has been ‘firmly excluded’ by his father as his Netflix series and bombshell memoir loom large, an expert told MailOnline this week.
His Majesty has also put Prince Andrew out in the cold after his decision to allow the Princess Royal and the Earl of Wessex to deputise for him if he is ill or abroad.
On Monday the monarch asked the House of Lords to make Prince Edward and Princess Anne Counsellors of State.
In a highly symbolic decision, taken on the King’s 74th birthday, he expanded the list of those who can stand in for him. It means that Harry and Andrew are now highly unlikely to ever be called upon when Queen Consort Camilla, Prince William and the Princess Royal also hold the title.
Royal biographer and investigative journalist Tom Bower told MailOnline: ‘Clearly there was no reconciliation during the Queen’s funeral and Charles fears the worst from the Netflix series and Harry’s memoir. Harry is firmly excluded – until he decides to come back to Britain and ask for forgiveness’.
By law, Counsellors of State include the sovereign’s spouse and the next four people in the line of succession who are over the age of 21.
When the Queen was alive Charles, Prince William, Prince Harry and Prince Andrew were on the list and led to calls for Anne and Edward to be added with the Duke of Sussex in the US and the Duke of York facing claims of sexual assault. Just two months into his reign, Charles and his courtiers have acted.
The Princess Royal and the Earl of Wessex will join members of the royal family who can stand in for the King when he cannot fulfil official duties. Pictured: His Majesty King Charles III stands beside an ancient oak tree in Windsor Great Park to mark his appointment as Ranger of the Park on Friday
The ‘slight to Harry and Andrew’, called ‘necessary’ by royal biographer Angela Levin, will mean that Prince Harry and Prince Andrew will be even less likely to be called to step-in if the King is absent. Pictured: Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (left) and Prince Andrew, Duke of York (right) at Windsor Castle on September 19 in Windsor during the committal service for the Queen at St George’s Chapel
Princess Anne and and Prince Edward have been added the Counsellors of State who can stand in for the King when he is unable to perform official duties. Pictured: King Charles (left), Camilla, Queen Consort (second-left), Princess Anne, Princess Royal (second-right) and Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex (right) host Team GB Tokyo Olympic medalists at Buckingham Palace on November 2
The ‘slight’ to the Duke of Sussex and the monarch’s disgraced brother Andrew, called ‘necessary’ by royal biographer Angela Levin, will mean the pair will be even less likely to be called to step-in if the King is absent. But Ms Levin claimed that Harry will have been ‘furious’ about the decision and the timing.
What are Counsellors of State, what do they do and why does the Kind need them?
Who are they?
The five Counsellors of State underneath King Charles are (prior to the King’s decision):
- Queen Consort Camilla (a full-time working royal)
- Prince William (a full-time working royal)
- Prince Harry (not a working royal)
- Prince Andrew (not a working royal)
- Princess Beatrice (not a full-time working royal)
What can they do?
As Counsellor of State, the five chosen royals can carry out most official duties of the monarch, including attending Privy Council meetings and signing documents on behalf of the King.
They are also permitted to receive new ambassadors to the UK.
But there are key decisions they cannot make.
They are not permitted to deal with Commonwealth matters, appoint a prime minister or dissolve parliament – unless they receive express orders from the King.
How are they chosen?
The Counsellors of State are automatically assigned based on their position in the succession order to the throne.
A royal must be over the age of 21 to be considered, and the titles are handed to the monarch’s spouse and the four royals next in line for the throne.
The exception to this is female royals born before 2011. Prior to then, the male royal primogeniture rule was in place which afforded male royals greater rights to the throne.
The rule was amended in 2013 but not retrospectively, meaning Princess Anne dropped down the line of succession and therefore is not considered for the role.
The monarch’s intention was announced on Monday in a signed message read to the House of Lords by the Lord Chamberlain, Lord Parker of Minsmere, the most senior official in the royal household.
Royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams told MailOnline the ‘important and long overdue reform’ was ‘symbolically significant too that it has been announced on King Charles’s birthday’.
‘He has celebrated privately, but this is a very significant matter of public interest,’ he added.
Charles said the aim of the increase was to ‘ensure continued efficiency of public business when I am unavailable’.
Counsellors of State, who can deputise for the monarch if he is overseas on an official trip or ill, include the Duke of Sussex, who lives in California after stepping down as a working royal, and the disgraced Duke of York.
But the addition of the King’s two younger siblings to the list means that ‘it is clear that Prince Harry and Prince Andrew will never serve as Counsellors of State’ if the monarch, the Queen Consort, or the Prince of Wales were unavailable, royal and legal expert Dr Craig Prescott told MailOnline.
Mrs Levin added: ‘Of course, it is a slight to Harry and Andrew – but there’s a good reason and it’s necessary.’
She said the move was an astute way to have Harry and Andrew ‘taken off the list in a very diplomatic way’ and that it is more practical for Charles to ask for the assistance of Princess Anne and Prince Edward.
‘Harry and Meghan would be absolutely furious’ with the decision, Mrs Levin said.
‘But he lives in California, he’s stopped being a working royal, so why should he [be a Counsellor of State]?
‘It isn’t about Harry’ but instead what the King needs, Mrs Levin said.
She also said that if the Duke of York were to perform the King’s official duties ‘the public would be absolutely furious’ and commended the monarch’s move as ‘very sensible’.
‘Reading between the lines it allows him the ensure that the right people are doing the right job,’ Mrs Levin said, adding that it would ensure the smooth running of the monarchy.
This change came after rising calls for Anne to receive an exemption from parliament to act on behalf of the King despite rules which prevented her from doing so.
Provisions for the counsellors are made under the Regency Acts 1937 to 1953 and those who can currently stand in for Charles include the Queen Consort, and the four most senior adults in the line of succession – Prince of Wales, Harry, Andrew and Princess Beatrice.
Source: Read Full Article