Father-of-two, 25, died in his sleep hours after snorting cocaine

Father-of-two, 25, died in his sleep hours after snorting cocaine

April 16, 2019

‘Devoted’ father-of-two, 25, died in his sleep just hours after snorting line of cocaine off house key during night out with his girlfriend, inquest hears

  • George Seeby, 25, suffered heart attack or seizure in his sleep day after boozing
  • Diagnosed with epilepsy after sustaining serious head injuries in 2010 car crash
  • ‘Bubbly, polite’ father, from Sale, Greater Manchester, died from cocaine toxicity

A father-of-two died in his sleep hours after snorting a line of cocaine from a house key during a night out with his girlfriend.

Sales assistant George Seeby, 25, had woken up the morning after and asked girlfriend Darcy Ankers to shut their bedroom door so he could have a lie in whilst she was tending to their baby.

But just an hour later Miss Ankers returned to the bedroom to find Mr Seeby had passed away. 

Sales assistant George Seeby, 25, died from cocaine toxicity after a night out with his girlfriend Darcy Ankers (pictured together)

Tests showed he died from cocaine toxicity, which caused him to have a fatal heart attack or seizure.

An inquest heard Mr Seeby, from Sale, Greater Manchester was a devoted family man who was suffering the long term effects of a car accident in 2010 when left him with a severe head injury.

His mother Tracey Jones said: ‘The vehicle had hit a tree at very high speeds and he was the front seat passenger. The head injury didn’t develop immediately but he started getting sweats and had a seizure and went back to hospital.

‘The doctors said that some part of the brain pushes on the temple lobe, so his brain moved putting pressure on the front temple lobe and that caused epilepsy.

‘He was prescribed medication but it would just knock him out. He just wanted to work – he was a very proud dad.’

The tragedy occurred on October 21 last year after Mr Seeby and Miss Ankers went for a night out in Altrincham after asking Mrs Jones to babysit the children.

Mrs Jones told the Stockport hearing: ‘The kids were only young. We were talking about our last holiday and he was excited about the next holiday and getting things back to normal after the baby.

‘He said he was going to go out with his girlfriend and have a few drinks and was in a really happy mood, he just bought a Christmas present for the baby and he seemed the happiest I’ve ever seen him. He wasn’t complaining of health problems. 

‘He came over and gave me a big hug and said how much he loved me and he was sorry for being late. He gave me some flowers and said he was sorry. He seemed really happy, he gave me a hug and he wasn’t slurring. He didn’t seem any different. I then went back to my own house.

The ‘bubbly, polite’ father-of-two had been diagnosed with epilepsy after sustaining serious head injuries in a 2010 car crash

‘The next thing I knew I got a phone call saying there was a medical emergency and a police officer would be there in 20 minutes. They told me what happened and I just couldn’t believe it. I never thought it would happen.’

‘He was kind, vibrant, bubbly, polite and good spirited. He was a devoted daddy, a family man and a true friend. We had only been on holiday in the September, he took his children crabbing, and we just had a lovely time. He really enjoyed life and he loved his children.’

Miss Ankers who had been dating Mr Seeby for almost three years told the hearing: ‘On the day, he was saying he had a headache and said he wasn’t feeling well – but he just went to work like he always did.

‘Later on he must have started to feel better as he finished early at work and went for a quick pint and then he texted me and asked me if we could go out and he would ask him mum to look after the children. I was excited to go out.

‘We got ready quite quickly and headed out. We went to George and his dad’s local pub. We had a couple in there first although he still wasn’t feeling 100 per cent.  

She explained they moved between several pubs before going clubbing and dancing.  

Tests showed the presence of cocaine in Mr Seeby’s system was at 91mg per 100ml of blood. A fatal level is usually 96mg depending on the person and their tolerance to the drug

‘He did take cocaine whilst we were out. It wasn’t the first time he he had it. A few other people were taking it as well. He took it off a key. 

‘He didn’t say he wasn’t feeling unwell. When we got back he ushered me upstairs as I was a little bit drunk and he said goodbye to him mum then came up to bed. He woke up in the morning and he seemed fine, other than a bit of a hangover he was OK.

‘The baby was next to me and she woke up so I took her out. He then shouted me back and asked me to shut the door as he wanted to go back to sleep. I then went on the phone for about an hour talking to my friend. When I came back in the room I know something was wrong. I didn’t hear anything. I saw he was unresponsive.’

Tests showed the presence of cocaine in Mr Seeby’s system was at 91mg per 100ml of blood although a fatal level is usually 96mg depending on the person and their tolerance to the drug. A toxicologist concluded he died from cocaine toxicity.

Police coroners officer, Claire Smith said: ‘There was no evidence of third party involvement or suspicious circumstances. No suggestions he was given drugs against his will.

‘There was a small bag of white powder on a DVD case on the floor and next to this was a five pound note. Its possible he did of an overdose or medical overdose or a combination of the two. There is a high risk of recreational drug use.

Recording a conclusion of drug related death, Coroner Chris Morris said: ‘This was a tragic case involving the death of a much loved man who was vibrant, bubbly and a very popular family man. It’s clear from everything I have heard about him, his death and the loss to those around him was immeasurable. But there are consequences to the toxic effects of taking cocaine.

‘I offer you my sincere condolences at the loss of someone very special.’

Source: Read Full Article