Dominic Raab to stand down as MP at next electionMay 22, 2023
Dominic Raab to stand down as MP at next election after being forced to quit Rishi Sunak’s cabinet over bullying allegations
Dominic Raab will stand down as an MP at the next general election, it has emerged.
Just a month after he quit the Cabinet over bullying allegations, the former deputy prime minister told his local Conservative association that he would not seek re-election.
Mr Raab, who has also served as foreign secretary, justice secretary and Brexit secretary, said he had become ‘increasingly concerned over the last few years about the pressure the job has placed on my young family’. His sons are aged 10 and 8.
Mr Raab’s marginal seat of Esher and Walton in Surrey has long been a key target of the Liberal Democrats, who have become increasingly confident they could overturn his 2,743 majority when the country goes to the polls next year.
In a letter to Peter Szanto, chairman of Esher and Walton Conservative Association, dated May 19, Mr Raab said: ‘I am writing to let you know of my decision to step down at the next General Election.
‘It has been a huge honour to represent the Conservatives, since 2010, in this wonderful constituency. Thank you for your steadfast support and tireless efforts, alongside all the teamwork and hard graft put in by our superb officers, councillors and members.’
Dominic Raab (pictured last month) will stand down as an MP at the next general election, it has emerged. He announced his decision not to run for reelection just a month after he quit the Cabinet over bullying allegations
The letter, seen by The Telegraph, went on: ‘I will continue to carry out all my responsibilities to my constituents, and provide every support in campaigning, so that we win here next year – which I am confident we can do under this Prime Minister’s leadership.’
Mr Raab entered Parliament in 2010, and went on to hold a number of ministerial posts.
He resigned as deputy prime minister last month over bullying allegations from civil servants.
An independent probe by Adam Tolley KC upheld two of eight complaints against him after finding he engaged in an ‘abuse or misuse of power’ that ‘undermines or humiliates’ while foreign secretary from 2020 to 2021.
Mr Raab’s conduct in the department had a ‘significant adverse effect’ on one colleague and he was also found to have been ‘intimidating’ to staff by criticising ‘utterly useless’ work while justice secretary.
But it cleared him of shouting or swearing at staff, or raising his arms in a threatening manner – some of the complaints made about him. It also revealed some of the complainants had never even met him, but were supporting colleagues.
The report suggested staff had been upset by Mr Raab’s ‘inquisitorial, direct, impatient and fastidious’ style, which included criticising their work to their face and interrupting them in meetings.
He subsequently released his resignation letter after having previously committed to doing so if the report found against him. He argued the findings of the report and apologised for causing any unintended stress or offence.
But Mr Raab said the inquiry was ‘flawed’ and warned it ‘set a dangerous precedent’ for effective government with a low threshold for what constituted bullying
He joins a slew of senior Tories, including former chancellor Sajid Javid and ex-environment secretary George Eustice, announcing their exit plans amid a polling slump.
Former health secretary Matt Hancock, who was a Conservative until he lost the whip over his I’m A Celebrity appearance, and Dehenna Davison, seen as a rising star in the Tory party, are also among the 30 Tories to be quitting the Commons.
Source: Read Full Article