Disgraced Jussie Smollett faces $130k lawsuit from City of ChicagoDecember 12, 2021
City of Chicago confirms it WILL sue Jussie Smollett for $130k cost of police investigation into faked hate attack as brothers he accused also plan lawsuit against disgraced star
- The City of Chicago says it will forge on with its lawsuit against actor Jussie Smollett, 39, despite his conviction on five counts of disorderly conduct
- It’s seeking $130,106.15 to cover an overtime tab racked up by dozens of officers tasked with investigating Smollett’s claims that he was the victim of an attack
- On Thursday, Smollett was convicted of faking the attack, and now faces jail as well as career and financial ruin
- The Osundairo brothers – who Smollett hired to attack him – are also going ahead with their lawsuit against the Empire star’s legal team
- They’re seeking undisclosed damages after claiming their careers and reputations were damaged in the high-profile hoax
Embattled actor Jussie Smollett still faces a $130,000 lawsuit from the City of Chicago – and more legal trouble from the brothers he hired to attack him – after he was convicted of staging his own assault in a botched career move.
The former Empire star dominated headlines in January 2019 after he claimed he was victimized in a racist, homophobic attack, but investigators soon determined his story was a hoax.
The Chicago Police Department came to the conclusion after more than two dozen cops spent weeks investigating the bogus story, logging 1,836 overtime hours in the process, a July 2019 legal filing said.
The city was faced with a $130,106.15 overtime tab and has since confirmed that it will press ahead with its lawsuit against Smollett to reclaim the cash. Their chances of a win or settlement are now all but guaranteed in the wake of the star’s conviction.
A lawsuit filed against Smollett’s legal team by the Nigeran brothers Smollett hired to attack him also stands.
Disgraced actor Jussie Smollett still faces a $130,000 lawsuit from City of Chicago after he was found guilty last Thursday of lying to police in an attack hoax he hoped would bolster his career. He’s pictured December 9 arriving at the Leighton Criminal Court to hear the verdict
The city said in its lawsuit that it was left with a $130,106.15 overtime tab after dozens of cops spent weeks investigating Smollett’s bogus claims
It city said it’s going forward with the lawsuit following the 39-year-old actor’s conviction last week on five counts of disorderly conduct.
‘The City filed a civil lawsuit against Jussie Smollett to recover costs incurred by the Chicago Police Department investigating what the City believed to be Smollett’s false police reports that he was a victim of a hate crime,’ the statement said.
‘While using a different standard of proof, the jury’s finding of guilt convicting Jussie Smollett of criminal charges stemming from the incident confirms that the City was correct in bringing its civil lawsuit.’
Nigerian brothers paying Abimbola ‘Abel’ Osundairo and Olabinjo ‘Ola’ Osundairo admitted that Smollett paid them to stage the attack, which they claim he orchestrated.
However, they later sued Smollett’s attorneys in April 2019, after the initial set of charges were dropped, claiming the case damaged their careers and reputations.
They claimed in the defamation lawsuit against lawyers Mark Geragos and Tina Glandian that they were maliciously portrayed as liars in the public.
Nigerian brothers paying Abimbola ‘Abel’ Osundairo (left) and Olabinjo ‘Ola’ Osundairo (right) admitted that Smollett paid them to stage the attack, which they claim he orchestrated
However, they later sued Smollett’s attorneys in April 2019, after the initial set of charges were dropped, claiming the case damaged their careers and reputations
Among the suggestions the lawyers made was that the brothers, who Smollett knew because he had enlisted them for personal training, might have been wearing white face when they attacked him on January 29.’
The brothers’ lawsuit said Glandian also inferred that Abel engaged in a sexual relationship with Smollett, and noted that homosexuality is illegal in the brothers’ home country.
‘Same-sex sexual activity is illegal in Nigeria, which can result in 14 years of imprisonment,’ the lawsuit said. ‘If the accused is married, the punishment is death by stoning.
‘Ms. Glandian’s globally broadcasted statements that Bola Osundairo is homosexual endangers him and the lives of his Nigerian family.’
A federal judge stayed their lawsuit until the criminal proceedings are completed for Smollett, who has not yet been sentenced.
The brothers were arrested following Smollett’s purported attack, but never charged.
Pictured: Ola Osundairo speaks to the media at the Leighton Criminal Courts Building after former Smollett was found guilty of five of the six counts against him December 9 in Chicago, Illinois.
The brothers’ legal team is expected to file an update to the court by February 2; their lawyers said in August that ‘with regard to settlement, nothing has changed in the Plaintiffs’ position.’
Smollett has been shamed for still refusing to admit that he staged a hoax race attack yesterday after being found guilty.
The actor stood rigid and showed no emotion as the guilty verdicts on five of the six counts of disorderly conduct were read out in the Chicago courtroom by Judge James Linn last Thursday.
He then scuttled out of court with his family, refusing to answer questions, and he is yet to make a public comment. His sentencing date has not yet been set but he faces a maximum of 20 years in prison.
Source: Read Full Article