Death toll rises to 290 in wake of Sri Lankan Easter bombingsApril 22, 2019
The death toll rose to at least 290 people in the wake of the Sri Lankan Easter Sunday bombings as 24 people were arrested in connection with the attacks, according to reports.
Police officials said early Monday local time that the death toll had increased from 207 and the number injured also rose to more than 500.
Sri Lankan officials said that a total of 24 suspects had been arrested but hesitated to speculate on a possible motive, Agence France-Presse reported.
The suspects were not identified.
The devastation occurred on Sunday when a series of blasts ripped through three churches and and three luxury hotels.
Most of the attacks were believed to be suicide bombings.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo sent out a statement saying, “While many details of the attacks are still emerging, we can confirm that several US citizens were among those killed.”
The identifications of the US citizens were not released on Sunday.
With Post Wires
Source: Read Full Article