Cristiano Ronaldo's rape accuser 'appeals decision to throw out case'August 21, 2022
Cristiano Ronaldo’s rape accuser ‘appeals decision by US judge to throw out civil case’ after she claimed he attacked her in penthouse suite in Las Vegas
- Kathryn Mayorga, 37, has appealed a US judge’s decision to dismiss her civil case
- Mayorga alleges that Cristiano Ronaldo raped her in a Las Vegas hotel in 2009
- She has appealed a Judge’s claim her attorney showed ‘bad-faith conduct’
A woman who accused Cristiano Ronaldo of rape has appealed against a US judge’s decision to dismiss the civil case.
Kathryn Mayorga’s lawyers will go to court in San Francisco this week in a bid to keep her £54million claim alive.
The case was thrown out in June by US Judge Jennifer Dorsey who said that Mayorga’s lawyer had shown ‘bad faith’ and relied on leaked documents.
Mayorga, 37, wants to overturn a £275,000 out-of-court settlement agreed with him in 2010.
The alleged rape was said to have taken place in a Las Vegas hotel room in 2009 after they met the same night in RAIN nightclub.
Cristiano Ronaldo (left) and his rape accuser Kathryn Mayorga (right) pictured on the night the pair met in Las Vegas in 2009 and the alleged rape took place
Mayorga, 37, wants to overturn a £275,000 out-of-court settlement agreed with him in 2010
American model-turned-teacher Mayorga claimed the football star raped her in a Las Vegas hotel room in 2009 after the pair met on a night out (pictured) in the city
The allegation was first made in 2010 when a settlement was reached, three years later Mayorga claimed she was ‘mentally incapacitated’ at the times and filed a civil lawsuit.
The claim was made public in 2017, her lawyers have said she was inspired to speak out and make her claim public by the #MeToo movement against sexual harassment.
While no charges were brought, she launched a civil suit in a bit to over-turn the non-disclosure agreement.
Court documents previously revealed she is claiming £18m for her past ‘pain and suffering’, £18m for future ‘pain and suffering’ and another £18m for punitive damages.
In 2018, Ronaldo said: ‘I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me. Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything I am and believe in.’
US prosecutors investigated but said he would not face charges.
Ronaldo – said to be worth £360million – is separately trying to claw back £37,000 of legal costs from Mayorga’s attorney Leslie Stovall.
And there is also an ongoing case over whether Las Vegas police’s investigative files from the case can be handed over to the press.
Source: Read Full Article