Brit family drive 12 hours non-stop in desperate bid to beat France quarantine deadlineAugust 14, 2020
A BRITISH family has driven non-stop for 12 hours in a desperate bid to beat the France quarantine deadline.
Julia Burnett, 35, and her husband Craig, 36, drove from the South of France to Calais with their three kids after the government’s shock announcement late last night.
⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates
All travellers returning from France must now quarantine for 14 days if they arrive in Britain after 4am tomorrow.
The Foreign Office has now advised against all non-essential travel to the country.
Thousands of Brits scrambled to ferry ports and airports this morning as holidaymakers launched a desperate bid to get home.
The Burnett family, from Taunton, Somerset, had already made the decision to cut their camping trip short after fearing quarantine measures would be introduced.
GET HOME NOW
They were just 60 miles from Calais when the announcement was made.
The family ended up driving for 12 hours with their three children Rory, seven, Isabella, five and one-year-old Finley.
They were able to book onto a family less than an hour before the announcement and were queuing feeling “tired but relieved” this morning.
Mrs Burnett told the Mirror Online: “We’d been trying to book onto the Channel tunnel but we eventually booked on the ferry instead.
Then I checked back on the tunnel website straight after the announcement and I was 5,310th in the queue – it was crazy."
“Then I checked back on the tunnel website straight after the announcement and I was 5,310th in the queue – it was crazy.
“Quarantine would have really affected Craig’s work as he runs a dental services business and can’t do it from home.”
Some 500,000 Brits are believed to be on holiday in France at the moment.
Another British couple drove for nine hours through the night to avoid quarantine.
What we know so far:
- Half a million Brits in France face a scramble to get home before 4am on Saturday – or isolate for 14 days
- Brits vented their fury as the last-minute quarantine France decision ruined 500,000 holidays
- The Netherlands and Malta have also been added to the quarantine list – but Gibraltar was reprieved
- The Channel Tunnel boss has warned tourists 'we're already fully booked'
- One BA flight from Paris airport to Heathrow quadrupled in price after announcement
- £1,000 fine for breaking quarantine rules
They had been enjoying a week in their motor home in the Dordogne when the news broke on Thursday night – so they quickly forked out £238 on a ferry from Calais to Dover and hit the road.
The husband and wife, who asked not to be named, left at midnight.
They had been due to come home on Sunday – and they blasted Prime Minister Boris Johnson after arriving in Kent at midday.
The mum-of-five, 55, a doctor’s surgery admin worker from Norfolk, said: “We had to do it to avoid quarantine. We just picked up all our stuff, chucked it in the motor home and drove.
“We’re gutted because we were loving our break over there, but I just couldn’t afford to have to go into quarantine. It wouldn’t be ideal at all.
“I understand why Boris has done this, but to give us a deadline of 4am on Saturday is nowhere near enough notice.
“He has to bear in mind that a lot of the people who got the news late last night wouldn’t have been able to just get up and leave like us.
“Some would’ve been families with young kids who were asleep. Then it’s a real rush to get things ready the next day.”
Source: Read Full Article