Boris Johnson speech today: What did the PM say about Dominic Cummings on Monday May 25? – The SunMay 25, 2020
PRIME Minister Boris Johnson chaired tonight's coronavirus press briefing alongside Public Health England Medical Director Professor Yvonne Doyle.
The PM confirmed outdoor markets and car showrooms will be able to open on June 1 and answered questions about his chief adviser Dominic Cummings.
⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates
What did Boris Johnson say at tonight's press briefing?
Outdoor markets and car showrooms will be able to open on June 1
Boris Johnson said: "Today I want to give the retail sector notice of our intention to reopen shops so they too can get ready."
He said outdoor markets and car show rooms can open from 1 June.
He added: "From 15 June, we intend to allow all other non-essential retail… to reopen."
He said this will only be permitted for premises that are "Covid-secure".
Mr Johnson says he wants people to be "confident that they can shop safely".
He said the food retail sector has already responded "fantastically well" and "we will learn lessons from that experience as we allow other retail to open".
He added: "These are careful but deliberate steps on the road to rebuilding our country. And we can only take these steps thanks to what we have so far achieved together."
When asked about his chief adviser's lengthy press conference, Boris Johnson said: "To the best of my knowledge, Mr Cummings has subjected himself to your interrogation for quite a long time.
"I really feel it would be wrong of me to try to comment further.
"People will have to make their minds up.
"To me he comes across as someone who cares a great deal for his family.
He said once again his chief aide acted "legally and reasonably".
"I don't think reasonable people can disagree with his motivations."
When asked if his support for Dominic Cummings is unconditional, the PM said: "No, I can't give any unconditional backing to anybody, but I do not believe that anybody in No 10 has done anything to undermine our messaging."
What was said in Sunday's press conference?
Prime Minister Boris Johnson chaired Sunday’s coronavirus press conference alongside NHS England's medical director Stephen Powis.
The PM defended his top aide Dominic Cummings and refused to ask him to quit despite a growing backlash from his own MPs.
Speaking at his third Downing Street press conference since leaving hospital, Mr Johnson insisted he had taken the allegations extremely seriously.
He said: "It is because I take this matter so seriously, and it is so serious, that I can tell you today that I've had extensive face-to-face conversations with Dominic Cummings.
"I've concluded that in travelling to find the right kind of childcare, at the moment when he and his wife were about to be incapacitated by coronavirus and when he had no alternative, I think he followed the instincts of every father and every parent.
"Though there have been many other allegations about what happened when he was in self-isolation, thereafter, some of the palpably false.
"I believe that in every respect that he has acted responsibly and legally and with integrity and with the overwhelming aim of stopping the spread of the virus and saving lives."
The PM said he believes England is in position to move to phase two of the lockdown easing of restrictions, which would see Reception, Year One and Year Six pupils return to school from June 1.
Boris said: "Today I can confirm I do believe we will be in the position to move to step two of the plan.”
He also confirmed schools would reopen from June 1.
Children in early years, reception, year one and year six classes will return first, he said.
CORONAVIRUS CRISIS – STAY IN THE KNOW
Don't miss the latest news and figures – and essential advice for you and your family.
To receive The Sun's Coronavirus newsletter in your inbox every tea time, sign up here.
To follow us on Facebook, simply 'Like' our Coronavirus page.
Get Britain's best-selling newspaper delivered to your smartphone or tablet each day – find out more.
"Today, I can announce our intention to go ahead with that as planned on June 1 – a week on Monday," he added.
"We then intend from June 15 for secondary schools to provide some contact for year 10 and 12 students to help them prepare for exams next year."
Source: Read Full Article