What Was the Most Popular Netflix Series in 2018?December 16, 2018
Netflix has revealed its most binged original series of 2018, and chances are you’ve never heard of it. While the second season of Making a Murderer and the spooky thriller The Haunting of Hill House got a lot of attention, the show people couldn’t stop watching this was a series for teens set in an inner-city Los Angeles neighborhood.
On My Block is the most binged Netflix show of 2018
Netflix is notoriously coy about revealing viewership numbers for its shows and movies. But this year, it did unveil a list of shows with “the highest average watch time per viewing session” – in other words, the shows that people couldn’t stop binging.
On My Block was the show that had people glued to their couches, based on data from between January 1 and November 28, 2018. Here’s how Netflix describes the series:
In a rough inner-city Los Angeles neighborhood, four smart, funny and streetwise teens find their lifelong friendship tested as they begin high school.
It stars Sierra Capri, Jason Genao, Brett Gray, and Diego Tinoco and was co-created by Awkward’s Lauren Iungerich, Eddie Gonzalez, and Jeremy Haft. While it flew a bit under the radar, reviews were positive after in debuted in March. Netflix ordered a second season in April.
The other Netflix originals people loved in 2018
Here’s the complete list of the 10 most-binged Netflix shows this year:
Netflix was careful to point out that this isn’t a list of the year’s most-watched shows, noting that “ranking on this list has no relation to overall viewing.” The list is also only based on U.S. viewing data.
The most re-watched movies on Netflix
Netflix also shared data on the movies people kept watching again and again. The three films with the most repeats were:
- The Kissing Booth
- To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before
- Roxanne Roxanne
Almost half of everyone who watched the first two movies ended up watching them a second time.
The streaming service also tracked which stars got the biggest social media boost from appearing in a Netflix show. The big winners were:
What’s coming to Netflix in 2019?
Netflix has some big things planned for next year. Among the shows and movies that will debut on the streaming service are:
- Tidying Up with Marie Kondo: A series starring the author of The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. Premieres January 1, 2019.
- Carmen Sandiego: A reboot of the 1990s kids series. Premieres January 18, 2019.
- Fyre: A documentary about the doomed Fyre Festival that will be released January 18, 2019.
- Conversation with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes: A true-crime series about one of America’s most notorious serial killers. Premieres January 25, 2019.
- The Highwaymen: A movie starring Woody Harrelson and Kevin Costner as the detectives who hunt down Bonnie & Clyde. It debuts March 29, 2019.
Check out The Cheat Sheet on Facebook!
Source: Read Full Article