The Apprentice 2020 ‘axed’ by BBC amid coronavirus concerns

The Apprentice 2020 ‘axed’ by BBC amid coronavirus concerns

June 23, 2020

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

The Apprentice has long been a favourite for many fans across the nation as hopefuls appear in front of Lord Alan Sugar in a bid to win a role as his new business partner. But unfortunately for 2020 candidates, this year is out of the question.

BBC bosses have had to pull the plug on the 2020 series after admitting it would be “impossible” to film while the strict coronavirus rules are still in place.

Instead, highlights from previous years will be screened.

A source told The Sun: “The Apprentice is one of the BBC’s biggest and most popular shows so they were desperate not to have to axe it.

“But they could wait no longer and they’ve run of time.”

READ MORE

  • How Lord Sugar’s rival Piers Morgan was picked to REPLACE him on BBC

They also admitted concern about what this could mean for other BBC shows, such as Strictly Come Dancing.

“It does also beg the question what the knock-on effect to other shows could be. If the Apprentice can’t film, can Strictly and others?

“It’s a stark warning to the industry that even the biggest shows are not immune from this crisis.”

The Sun revealed in April earlier this year that the broadcaster was postponing filming despite having a full cast of business hopefuls ready to go.

But today the sad news was confirmed by a BBC spokesman: “Sadly we have decided to postpone The Apprentice for 2020.

“Production safety and the wellbeing of everyone involved in the show is our number one priority,” they said.

“While this is understandably disappointing news, viewers will still be able to get their weekly fix of memorable tasks, favourite candidates and boardroom bust ups alongside brand new insights from Karren, Claude, Lord Sugar and many more from the past 15 years in a special highlights series airing on BBC1.”

Strictly is set to go ahead this year but producers have been “working around the clock” to pull together a new show format so as to adhere to government advice token their cast and crews safe.

DON’T MISS…
EastEnders: Dirty Den actor’s horror swipe at Pat Butcher star exposed [SPOILERS]
The One Show fans seriously divided by Dr Ranj distancing advice [TV NEWS]
The Chase: Bradley Walsh speechless as contestant makes historic error [REACTION

With this in mind judge Craig Revel Horwood explained that the new rules will make “wonderful television”.

Speaking to the Loose Women panel today, he said: “I’m looking forward to the show because it’s going to be a completely different creative look at it.

“I think when you’re pushed into corners, like having two-metre rules and all of that, I think it will make some wonderful TV.

“So, it’s going to be interesting and it’s going to be fantastic and I’m super excited because it’s going ahead, finally,” he added.

Big show’s such as Strictly have been at the centre of much debate since the coronavirus crisis hit the UK back in March and we were thrown into imminent lockdown.

READ MORE

  • Lord Alan Sugar sparks outrage after he suggests ending lockdown

Craig and his fellow judges, Shirley Ballas and Motsi Mabuse have all voiced their hopes the programme would return in some format for the past three months.

At the moment, it is unknown whether Bruno Tonioli, will be joining the panel due to his commitments to Dancing With The Stars in America and the global crisis has made travelling difficult.

Until the new season gets underway, there is still a treat for viewers as three special episodes have been commissioned.

Meanwhile, we may not gte to see a fresh set of candidates this year, but the highlights will air on Wednesdays at 9pm later this year.

Spin-off show The Apprentice: You’re Fired airs on Wednesdays at 10pm on BBC Two.

Source: Read Full Article