Strictly Come Dancing 2020: Will Strictly be cancelled amid national lockdown?

Strictly Come Dancing 2020: Will Strictly be cancelled amid national lockdown?

November 1, 2020

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

Strictly Come Dancing has returned with its 18th series on the BBC, much to the delight of viewers. The show will be airing its first elimination tonight (Sunday, November 1) but some have been left worried about the future of the show. Here’s what the BBC has revealed so far.

Will Strictly Come Dancing be cancelled amid national lockdown?

Thanks to social distancing restrictions and bubbles, Strictly Come Dancing was able to return to the BBC earlier in October.

However, amid the announcement of a fresh lockdown for England, many have been wondering whether the show can carry on.

On Saturday, October 31, Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced the nation would be entering a four-week lockdown beginning on Thursday, November 5.

This will include businesses having to close, limitations on household mixing and a message to stay home where possible.

As a result of the news, some fans wondered what this will mean for the live shows of Strictly Come Dancing.

These fears were further heightened when the new lockdown was referenced in Saturday evening’s live show.

The episode began shortly after the lockdown announcement and at one point Claudia Winkleman joked it may be impacted.

After contestant Jamie Laing performed, she said the star should take home the trophy early as the show may have to “go night night.”

However, the BBC has confirmed to Express.co.uk in a comment nothing new has been decided at this point.

The stance remains the show will continue to adhere to government guidelines.

Following the announcement about the new national lockdown, the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Oliver Dowden also provided some clarity.

He announced on Twitter how filming on television shows and films will be allowed to continue.

DON’T MISS…

Oti Mabuse addresses Strictly 2020 mishap with partner Bill Bailey [VIDEO]
Kevin Clifton sparks ‘feud’ after sharing hopes for Strictly return [INSIGHT]
Craig Revel Horwood: Strictly judge aims dig at show’s pro dancers [PICTURES]

On Saturday evening, he wrote: “As the Prime Minister has just confirmed we will be taking additional restrictions from Thursday.

“We understand the anxiety & impact these will have and will ensure they last not a day longer than necessary.

“The changes mean people should WFH where possible. But where this is not possible, travel to a place of work will be permitted.

“E.g. this includes (but not exhaustive) elite sport played behind closed doors, film & tv production, telecoms workers.

“We understand people will have a lot of questions and @DCMS officials & ministers will be working through these and detailed implications with sectors over the coming days.”

Alongside this, the British Film Institute CEO Ben Roberts also confirmed filming may go ahead if it is COVID-secure

He tweeted: “Covid-secure Film & TV production is permitted under the new guidelines.”

Therefore, at the moment it seems like Strictly 2020 will continue to go ahead.

Although, there may be some more changes in store for the show along the way.

Strictly head Sarah Jones confirmed to Metro.co.uk back in September how they had prepared for “any scenario.”

She said: “We are prepared for any scenario. We’ve made plans for no audience, we’ve made plans for a distanced audience, and we’ve made plans for a full audience.

“Whatever happens, we’ll obviously just be following the government guidelines.”

If anything more is revealed about Strictly’s future, Express.co.uk will update this article.

Strictly Come Dancing airs on Saturday and Sunday evenings on BBC One.

Source: Read Full Article