Pointless host Richard Osman reveals health condition that stopped him pursuing his DREAM jobMay 17, 2022
FORMER Pointless host Richard Osman has revealed the health condition that stopped him chasing his DREAM job.
The BBC star – who recently stepped down from his presenting role on the much-loved game show – said his "terrible eyesight" ruined his chances of working in the police.
Richard, 51, quit Pointless last month having filmed more than 1,300 episodes and nearly 30 series across 13 years as the show's host.
He revealed he was doing so in order to focus on his hugely successful writing career – which has seen him become a best-selling author.
But the TV star didn't always want to work as a writer and presenter, and had his sights set on a very different path as a child.
Richard revealed to the Radio Times that he was keen to be a police detective "like his grandfather" as a child.
MORE ON RICHARD OSMAN
Richard Osman reveals MASSIVE Pointless secret he’s been hiding after exit
Richard Osman takes swipe at Pointless after shock game-show exit
“I would love to have been a detective like my grandfather," he said.
“Sadly, I have a condition called nystagmus that means I’ve got terrible eyesight, so it was never a possibility.”
It comes after Richard has revealed the toll the quiz show took on him after his shock exit as he took a swipe at the show.
Speaking to Phillip Schofield and Rochelle Humes on This Morning, Richard said it "took a lot out of him" to film.
Most read in TV
Amanda Holden puts £5m Surrey home on market – with hot tub where she stripped
The heartbreaking reason why Val Kilmer's role in Top Gun: Maverick is tiny
Sam Faiers reveals her kids were there when she gave birth – and Rosie helped
Amir Khan returning to I'm A Celebrity for All Star series
"My thing has been people only play Pointless once or twice, and I want to give them a good time and have it be exciting for everyone," he said. "It takes a lot out of you.
"I’ve always given 100 per cent to Pointless, and I was getting to the stage where I don’t have time to give 100 per cent to everything."
He added: "I had done 12 years of it, so if one thing could go, because I still love House of Games, and I love doing the writing.
"It was just the one thing where I was like, you know what let someone else have a go at this."
Richard has become a runaway success in the literary world having
released his first novel The Thursday Murder Club in 2020, and its sequel The Man Who Died Twice in 2021.
The first book is the third best-selling hardback of all-time in the UK while the follow-up is the sixth best-selling.
The film rights have already been bought by Hollywood icon Steven Spielberg.
Read More on The Sun
BBC Breakfast fans in tears as Dan Walker bids farewell to show
I gave birth to my baby son twice – the second time was 11 weeks later
His agent Juliet Mushens said: “When Richard told me he had written a novel I knew that it would be warm and witty. However, I wasn’t quite prepared for how brilliantly the Thursday Murder Club would come to life.”
The series has since sold nearly five million copies in total.
Source: Read Full Article