Wimbledon ban Russian flags and tournament chiefs send message to Russian media

Wimbledon ban Russian flags and tournament chiefs send message to Russian media

April 25, 2023

Wimbledon chiefs have confirmed Russian flags will be banned at the 2023 Championships amid Russia’s ongoing invasion of Ukraine.

The All England Club revealed last month that Russian and Belarusian players will be allowed to compete under a neutral flag after lifting their ban from 2022.

But flags from either country will not be allowed at the Championships this year following several controversial incidents at the Australian Open in January.

‘Our grounds entry terms and conditions have been updated this year,’ Wimbledon chief executive Sally Bolton said on Tuesday.

‘That will prohibit any Russian or Belarusian flags being brought into the grounds, as well as any other symbols or signs of support for the war or the two regimes.

‘The gates teams will be well briefed on what can and can’t come into the grounds.’

Russian media and journalists, meanwhile, are ‘not welcome’ at Wimbledon this year and the tournament will not be broadcasted in the country.

Tournament schedule updates 🎾
Environmental enhancements 🌍
Plans for the future 🔮

Read the latest #Wimbledon announcements in full, regarding The Championships 2023 and beyond ⬇️

‘The tournament will not be shown in Russia or Belarus,’ Bolton added. ‘Russian media are not welcome at the Championships.’

Wimbledon chiefs have revealed that special arrangements have been made for tennis players from Ukraine in a boost ahead of the 2023 event.

‘For Ukrainian players, the All England Club and the LTA will be funding the accommodation cost of two rooms for all main draw and qualifying players and their team members, for the entirety of the grass court season,’ Wimbledon chairman Ian Hewitt said.

‘All main draw and qualifying players [from Ukraine] will also be offered the opportunity to practice and train after Roland-Garros on All England Club courts or LTA Surbiton courts. This mirrors arrangements for top-10 singles players.’

Wimbledon have also confirmed that they will make donations to Ukraine, will offer tickets to Ukrainian refugees and have again strongly condemned the war.

Speaking about the decision to lift the ban on Russian and Belarusian players, Hewitt added: ‘I can assure you it was a very difficult decision in exceptionally challenging circumstances.

‘It does not lessen in any way whatsoever our total condemnation of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.’

Source: Read Full Article