Sydney to Hobart 2022 Day 2 LIVE: Comanche cements lead, race record unlikelyDecember 26, 2022
- What happened overnight
1 of 1
This is how close it got overnight
This is what the tracker looked like around 2am. Check out how close Black Jack and Hamilton Island Wild Oats were. Black Jack has since managed to move up closer to LawConnect, and is now sitting in third spot.
What happened overnight
In terms of Sydney to Hobart overnights, Monday evening one was a mercifully quiet one. Here’s what you need to know:
- The four super maxis continued to fight it out for first position last night, but Andoo Comanche cemented its early lead and now is ahead of LawConnect, sitting in second place, by about nine nautical miles
- Black Jack, which was just before 2am sitting behind Wild Oats, managed to make good of the wind conditions and raced ahead to LawConnect. There’s less than four nautical miles between LawConnect and Black Jack, which now sit in second and third places, respectively
- But the super maxis also lost track of the race record last night, as slightly slower minds made it hard to keep up with LDV Comanche’s 2017 win. They’re now sitting about 50 nautical miles behind where that boat was at this point in the 2017 race
- In the contest for overall winner, Sam Haynes’ Celestial is currently sitting in first place, with Warrior Won and Gweilo in second and third spots. But there is little space between them
- We got news late yesterday evening of another retirement from the race: Yeah Baby made it to Woolongong before its rudder became damaged, and returned overnight to Sydney
Welcome to day two
While you and I went to bed last night, the sailors aboard the 107 Hobart-bound yachts (yes, another retired – more on that soon) stayed up into the wee hours as they made their way down the coast, angling for every extra second on their competition.
Now, the leaders are into Bass Strait and the other end of the fleet is around Batemans Bay. There’s a long way to go.
We really enjoyed hearing how you watched the race yesterday. Get in touch via the comments, or on Twitter, to let me know how your favourite is going.
1 of 1
Most Viewed in Sport
Source: Read Full Article