Sport news LIVE: Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua LATEST, Conor McGregor called out by Tony Ferguson, WWE updates – The Sun

Sport news LIVE: Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua LATEST, Conor McGregor called out by Tony Ferguson, WWE updates – The Sun

June 17, 2020

CONOR MCGREGOR has been called out by Tony Ferguson for a UFC clash – despite the Irishman being 'retired'.

Tyson Fury has given boxing fans an update on his two-fight agreement with rival Anthony Joshua.

While we've charted Mike Tyson's comeback from blowing the fortune he amassed as a 90s superstar.

Follow ALL of the latest updates from the world of sport here…

  • A WILD TYM

  • PUSH COMES TO SHOVE

    Mike Tyson relished a heated weigh-in confrontation during his boxing days and seemed just as excited watching other fighters lose their heads.

    Iron Mike was a guest at UFC 160 back in May 2013 that featured future lightweight king Khabib Nurmagomedov against Abel Trujillo.

    The 53-year-old was on stage at the weigh-in when Russian grappler Khabib actually failed to make weight.

    With emotions running high as the two squared off, the undefeated Dagestani angrily shoved Trujillo before UFC president Dana White intervened to separate the pair.

    But Tyson, standing behind, was enjoying every second as he smiled and raised his arms in celebration at the sequence unfolding.

  • P4P

    TWO British stars have been included in Boxrec's top ten pound-for-pound list – though Tyson Fury did his best to hide Anthony Joshua from the rankings.

    The Gypsy King – who has recently been named by Ring magazine as the world's best active heavyweight – has come in at second in the P4P list, with AJ placed in at eighth.

  • BATTLE OF BRITAIN

    Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua look set to go head-to-head in 2021 and here's what the stats say ahead of the clash.

  • MIKE DROP

    Tyson Fury has revealed it would be an “honour” to share the ring with Mike Tyson as he claimed he has received an offer from ESPN to face the boxing legend in an exhibition bout.

    Speaking to Behind the Gloves about whether he would consider a bout against the Baddest Man on the Planet, Fury said: “Yeah of course.

    “I’m named after the guy, I think it’ll be ironic, I think it’ll be legendary, Tyson vs Tyson, the old vs the new and it’ll be absolutely amazing.

    “We can’t change time, we can’t turn the clock back, but we can deal with what we have today, I would love to share the ring with Mike Tyson, it’ll be an absolute honour in an exhibition fight, have a move around. It’ll be amazing.”

  • JOR DROPPING

    Jorge Masvidal revealed Dana White made him a last-ditch offer to headline UFC 251 on Fight Island against welterweight champion Kamaru Usman.

    Masvidal, 35, was next in line for the belt but publicly fell out with the UFC after claiming the money he was offered to challenge Usman was only half of what he pocketed when beating Nate Diaz in November.

    After failing to come to terms with the promotion, No1 ranked challenger Gilbert Burns, who beat Tyron Woodley last month, was instead given the title bout.

    But Masvidal said he was handed one more chance to accept the Usman fight, but turned down the “take it or leave it” offer after being given no room to negotiate.

    He wrote on Twitter: “I already explained why I signed a new deal. It’s either take it or leave it and not get paid. I would’ve signed another deal if it was done in good faith.

    “He called me night before he wants to announce and tell me take or it leave it. That’s not negotiating that’s strong arming.”

  • AWFUL TYMING

    Tyson Fury has been warned announcing his two-fight agreement with Anthony Joshua has come at the worst time – as it will fire up Deontay Wilder.

    Former unbeaten two-weight champion Andre Ward fears the potential undisputed title decider could cause Fury to lose focus while adding extra “motivation” for Wilder to scupper plans for anticipated Battle of Britain.

    Ward said: “I was one of the ones that were clamouring for an undisputed champion, but I just don't like the path Tyson Fury is taking.

    “I'm not a fan of giving an opponent, and that opponent right now is Deontay Wilder, bulletin board material. This is a man, Deontay Wilder, who took his first loss, a humiliating loss, and he's dealing with his own pride being bruised.

    “He's a competitor. If you're Team Fury, you have to know and leave room for Deontay Wilder showing up at the rematch at the best version of himself.

    “I don't like the added motivation because even if Fury isn't overlooking him, that's how Team Wilder is going to interpret this.”

  • BIG MAC

    Conor McGregor's father has hinted the Irish champ could be set for a UFC retirement U-turn.

    The Notorious' dad liked a post from 'The Mac Life' on Instagram asking who fans would like to see the 31-year-old fight IF he returned to the Octagon.

    'The Mac Life' are owned by McGregor Sports And Entertainment Limited and dad Tony McGregor's like gave devastated fans hope the legendary fighter may go back on his word.

    McGregor shocked the MMA world by dramatically announcing his retirement from the UFC, citing a lack of big fights and that it does not “excite” him anymore.

    The news broke just over a week ago but there is already a chance McGregor – who has twice previously 'ended' his career – is ready to reconsider.

  • HE'LL FIGHT AGAIN

    Justin Gaethje predicted Conor McGregor will only return to the Octagon if Khabib Nurmagomedov is not UFC champion.

    Gaethje, who won the interim lightweight belt last month, is set to face unbeaten Khabib in a unification bout in September.

    It left McGregor – who was beaten by Nurmagomedov in 2018 – furious as he wanted to face the 33-year-old American next, and a third retirement in four years soon followed for The Notorious.

    But Gaethje has urged the 31-year-old to face the winner between him and Nurmagomedov – but is not confident the Irishman will want to face Khabib, 31, again.

    He told ESPN: “I think he'll fight again, he should wait for the winner of me and Khabib.

    “If I win, I think he definitely comes back; if Khabib wins, I don't know, I'm not sure about that.”

  • TOP OF THE CHARTS

    MMA made its return to our screens after lockdown with a successful UFC 249.

    But have the results changed anything when it comes to the pound-for-pound rankings?

    Here are the current rankings.

    1. Jon Jones
    2. Khabib Nurmagomedov
    3. Stipe Miocic
    4. Israel Adesanya
    5. Daniel Cormier
    6. Kamaru Usman
    7. Alexander Volkanovski
    8. Conor McGregor
    9. Max Holloway
    10. Justin Gaethje
    11. Dustin Poirier
    12. Tony Ferguson
    13. Robert Whittaker
    14. Francis Ngannou
    15. Dominick Reyes
  • BIZARRE

    WWE stars Dana Brookes and Lacey Evans were involved in a bizarre confrontation with a fan as he tried to gain access to Monday night RAW.

    Armando Alejandro Montalvo filmed himself for his Instagram page as he argued with authorities.

    It is not the first time Montalvo has had a run-in with WWE after he was shot by police outside of the Orlando Performance Centre in 2015 for allegedly attempting to smear feces on the building.

    WWE slapped him with a restraining order but he continues to be spotted outside of filmings.

    Police officers and security personnel were reportedly present in his latest escapade, and both Brookes and Evans were heard coming out of the building in an attempt to resolve the situation.

    At one point, Montalvo called out: “Who wants to see me debut on Monday Night RAW? Who wants to see me never go back to jail for this wrestling dream? You know I deserve it.”

  • SMALL PRINT

    Tyson Fury has claimed that there is still much to be decided before his two-fight deal with Anthony Joshua is rubber stamped.

    Fury told Behind the Gloves: “All I know is that we’ve both agreed. He said he wants to fight, I’ve said I want to fight, so whatever that means.

    “I think that means me and you said let’s go on holiday to Barbados next year, we’re both agree to do it but no dates have been set, no tickets or plane journeys been booked, no hotels been booked, nothing.

    “It’s all principle like, just an agreement, the nitty gritty hasn’t been done with the contracts and all that sort of stuff.

    “It’s just the base deal of the split and the two-fight deal.”

  • LB FOR LB

    Tyson Fury seems pretty pleased with his rating as the world's second-best pound for pound fighter.

    Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez is rated as the world's best per ounce.

  • SPLIT DECISION

    WWE diva Lana is facing her second divorce within eight months after Bobby Lashley told her he wanted to end their marriage.

    The 35-year-old beauty, real name CJ Perry, split from her long-term first husband Rusev late last year after a steamy affair with the Dominator.

    The scorned Rusev, who she is still married to in real-life, failed to get his revenge on the pair after the Bulgarian Brute was released from WWE in April due to the coronavirus.

    That led Lashley to get involved with MVP instead, with the veteran taking The Almighty under his wing and securing a WWE Title shot against Drew McIntyre at Backlash on Sunday.

    Several weeks ago Lana was told by her husband to remain backstage during his matches, but she ignored that order two days ago to accidentally cause a distraction that allowed McIntyre to take advantage and retain his title.

    Now it looks like the much-publicised love affair is coming to quick end following Raw.

  • CORONA CONCERN

    WWE have confirmed one of its stars who has performed this month has tested positive for coronavirus.

    And now they have decided to test of all its wrestlers and employees who have been on site for recent tapings in Orlando, Florida “out of an abundance of caution and to ensure the health and safety of the company's performers and staff.”

    Dr. Jeffrey Dugas, the WWE's associate medical director, said last night: “A developmental talent, who was last on site at WWE's training facility on Tuesday, June 9, has tested positive for Covid-19.

    “Since that time, no other individuals that attended the facility have reported symptoms.”

    WWE has recently been using developmental talent to stand ringside behind a plastic screen in order to create a crowd-like atmosphere at TV tapings.

  • DON'T TY YOURSELF IN KNOTS

    Tyson Fury believes Dillian Whyte “won’t get very far” in suing the WBC over his mandatory title fight due to the coronavirus crisis.

    The Body Snatcher has taken legal action against the WBC after the Gypsy King agreed to fight Anthony Joshua.

    Fury, 31, is the current holder of the WBC heavyweight belt, with Whyte his mandatory challenger.

    Fury told Behind The Gloves: “He won’t go very far with suing because everything has been put on hold, hasn’t it?

    “It’s like the world has been put on hold, so everything has got move along with the holdback.

    “I was supposed to fight [Wilder] in July, but that’s not happening now. I’m not going to sue from it because it’s the pandemic, and obviously, I won’t get anywhere, and I’m sure his lawyers know what they’re doing.”

  • GETTING HIS EDGE BACK

    WWE have confirmed Edge has undergone surgery for a torn tricep with the legend potentially facing eight months out.

    The Rated-R Superstar was forced to retire in 2011 due to a neck injury but made a stunning return in January at the Royal Rumble.

    Edge, 46, then battled Randy Orton at WrestleMania 36 and defeated The Viper before losing in a rematch at Backlash on Sunday in “The Greatest Wrestling Match Ever”.

    A WWE statement said: “WWE Digital has confirmed that Edge suffered a torn triceps as a result of injuries sustained during The Greatest Wrestling Match Ever.

    “Edge has undergone successful surgery and is currently rehabbing at home.”

  • 'YOU KIDDING ME?'

    UFC fighter Charles Jourdain was left shocked after a rogue judge scored the fight in his favour.

    Jourdain was beaten over three rounds by Andre Fili at the UFC's Apex Centre in Las Vegas.

    But the featherweight was admittedly stunned as one judge ruled the fight his way, and after the scorecard was read out, he said: “Are you kidding me?”

    Jourdain congratulated Fili post-fight, after a back and forth striking match.

    Despite the win, Fili questioned the split-decision verdict while he called for a “big name” in the 145lb division in his next fight.

    Fili said: “I was begging God. Man, I don’t understand [the split decision]. I really feel like I didn’t perform as well as I could have.”

  • GOOD MORNING FIGHT FANS

    Yesterday was a busy day as it emerged Dillian Whyte is taking legal action against the WBC after Tyson Fury agreed to fight Anthony Joshua.

    Fury, 31, is the current holder of the WBC heavyweight belt, with Whyte his mandatory challenger.

    Whyte has been left fuming after being overlooked yet again, seeking advice on his legal standpoint.

    Whyte, 32, will have been the mandatory challenger for the WBC heavyweight crown for 1,000 days in July.

    And Fury’s promoter Frank Warren has sympathy with Whyte and said: ““You can see why he’s upset. He doesn’t feel he’s been looked after.

    “At this point, Dillian must be wondering if he’s ever going to get a world title shot over there. If Dillian was with me, he would have fought for a world title by now.

    “I had Tyson Fury fighting for a world title within six months of signing with him, we kept him nice and active and then got him the Wilder fight.

    “Look what’s happened since, Tyson is an absolute global superstar on the verge of the biggest contract in boxing history.”

    Elsewhere, Floyd Mayweather's ex-girlfriend Josie Harris died of 'drug overdose' aged 40, a coroner report claimed.

    Shannon Briggs and Mike Tyson are said to be 'closing in' on a £20m 'tag-team steel cage' match involving Holyfield, Haye and Klitschko.

    And Dana White called Bob Arum a d***head after the veteran boxing promoter criticised him for holding UFC events during Covid-19.

    White said: “By the way, Cornhole almost out-rated Top Rank the other night for their fights. So congratulations to Top Rank.

    “Bob Arum, give him a shout out. Good job, Bob. You’re f***ing brilliant. You d***head.”

  • MAY DAY

    Floyd Mayweather has named Makhmud ‘Mach’ Muradov as the best MMA fighter in the world – leaving fans mystified by his choice.

    The five-weight boxing world champion took to social media to praise the 30-year-old, who boasts a record of 24-6 inside the Octagon.

    In a tweet that has resurfaced from 2019, Mayweather uploaded a clip of the Uzbekistan middleweight, with the caption: “The best MMA fighter in the world! Makhmud “Mach” Muradov.”

    Fight fans were in shock, as they claimed that the likes of his former foe Conor McGregor, as well as Khabib Nurmagomedov, Georges St-Pierre and Jon Jones have to be considered.

  • 'IDIOTS'

    Frank Warren has confirmed heavyweight champ Tyson Fury has received an offer to fight Mike Tyson.

    However, the boxing promoter has reiterated that he believes it is a bad idea for “Iron Mike” to climb back into the ring.

    Speaking to Metro, he said: “The offer Tyson has was given to him. There has been talk about Mike Tyson doing an exhibition with Tyson Fury. There has been a conversation, but not with me.

    “To be quite honest, it’s not something I’m interested in. There will be some idiots who pay to watch this.

    “If the two Tysons were to have an exhibition to raise money for charity, then that’s okay – as long as it’s choreographed.

    “I haven’t got a problem with that. But anything else is crazy.”

  • WHYTE NOISE

    Dillian Whyte needs to question Eddie Hearn on his failure to land him a long-overdue world title shot, according to rival promoter Frank Warren.

    The Body Snatcher is rapidly approaching 1000 days as the WBC’s No1 ranked challenger but remains miles off a crack at the gold.

    And Warren – the Hall of Fame matchmaker said: “You can see why he’s upset. He doesn’t feel he’s been looked after.

    “At this point, Dillian must be wondering if he’s ever going to get a world title shot over there. If Dillian was with me, he would have fought for a world title by now.

    “I had Tyson Fury fighting for a world title within six months of signing with him, we kept him nice and active and then got him the Wilder fight.

    “Look what’s happened since, Tyson is an absolute global superstar on the verge of the biggest contract in boxing history.”

  • LIVING ON THE EDGE

    WWE legend Edge reportedly suffered a serious injury as he was defeated in the “Greatest Wrestling Match Ever” by Randy Orton.

    The Rated-R Superstar was forced to retire in 2011 due to a neck injury but made a stunning return in January at the Royal Rumble

    Edge, 46, then battled Orton at WrestleMania 36 and defeated The Viper before he was challenged again by the icon at Backlash last night.

    Expectations could not have been any higher after WWE dubbed it the “Greatest Wrestling Match Ever” and the two did not disappoint and produced an epic clash.

    But now Edge’s efforts could potentially rule him out of a trilogy fight with Orton at SummerSlam as he allegedly tore his tricep during the 40-minute long classic.

    That is according to several news outlets, with some stating he could be sidelined for eight months, although the severity of the injury is yet to be confirmed and is hopefully only minor.

  • But White hit back in emphatic fashion and said: “So many people are watching, this is everybody’s time to shine. The sport is at a whole other level right now, you know what I mean?

    “When we first started on ESPN, if you look at the ESPN totem pole, you had NFL, Major League Baseball, NBA, these guys, right? And we were down like … we were one notch above Cornhole. Okay?

    “Now we sit in a much better place on the ESPN totem pole than we did when we signed this deal a year and a half ago.

    “By the way, Cornhole almost out-rated Top Rank the other night for their fights. So congratulations to Top Rank.

    “Bob Arum, give him a shout out. Good job, Bob. You’re f***ing brilliant. You d***head.”

  • WHAT A PUT DAN

    Dana White's war of words with Bob Arum is showing no sign of ending after he labelled the boxing promoter a “d***head”.

    88-year-old Arum, who works with Tyson Fury, recently hit out at White for staging UFC events despite the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

    He said: “I just hope that they’re not endangering the safety of anyone. But this kind of cowboy behaviour doesn’t do anybody any good.

    “We’re looking now with Nevada, which we’ll do in a sensible way, or California. We’re working with [NSAC’s] Bob Bennett and [CSAC’s] Andy Foster, and we’re talking to the Texas commission.

    “We’re only gonna do this if it’s safe for the fighters and everyone involved, and if it’s approved by the medical authorities.

    “We’re not gonna be cowboys, like Dana White. I don’t wanna get politics involved, but I have really very little respect for Dana and what he’s doing.”

Source: Read Full Article