Silverstone decided to pull out of hosting British Grand Prix three months ago, says track chief Derek Warwick

Silverstone decided to pull out of hosting British Grand Prix three months ago, says track chief Derek Warwick

January 26, 2022

SILVERSTONE chief Derek Warwick revealed the decision to pull out of hosting the British Grand Prix after 2019 was made three months ago.

The future of the race was plunged into doubt when the British Racing Drivers Club triggered a break clause from their contract on Tuesday due to cost of staging the race.


MOST READ IN SPORT

FOOTY BREAK

Why are there no Premier League games on this weekend and when does it return?

ALL ABOARD

Man Utd ace Maguire & partner board star-studded flight as Prem players jet away

HAT OF THE NET

Ricky Hatton snogs mystery woman in Southampton pub after Man City draw

RIP

Ex-Celtic boss Wim Jansen dies aged 75 after dementia battle as stars pay tribute

President Warwick said F1 bosses Liberty knew all along that Silverstone would pull the plug this week – but was hopeful a deal could be reached to carry on hosting from 2020.

He said: "Liberty knew all along – we told them three months ago we were going to do it this week.

"The timing took care of itself, we had to do it by midnight Thursday night so we decided to do it on Tuesday."

The track lost £4.8m in staging the race last year, up from £2.8m in 2015 with increased hosting fees a major factor.

Warwick said: "How can there not be a British GP at Silverstone? How can you let 120,000 fans down?"

"I'm sure there will be a way we can sign a new contract.


"We will sit down with Liberty at the end of the year when everything has calmed down.

"They have to experience the British GP and this is the first time they've visited it as owners of F1. Id' like to think they'll be super impressed with it."

Source: Read Full Article