Oleksandr Usyk hints he WILL step aside for Anthony Joshua to fight Tyson Fury in 'once in lifetime' unification boutDecember 19, 2020
OLEKSANDR USYK has hinted that he WILL step aside as WBO mandatory challenger to allow Anthony Joshua to fight Tyson Fury.
The Ukrainian, 33, said the chance of a massive unification bout with all four heavyweight belts on the line would be a "once in a lifetime opportunity".
When asked if he would consider moving aside, Usyk told SunSport: "All four belts might end up in the same hands of one person.
"It might be a once in a lifetime opportunity. We should all talk and communicate for that to happen because it is a really big event."
The man who unified the cruiserweight division revealed he is still chasing the Joshua fight after the Watford boxer delivered a stunning knockout against Kubrat Pulev last weekend.
But Usyk admitted there are many factors at play in order to get the match-up signed, with calls growing louder for a £500million two-fight deal to be agreed between AJ and Fury.
He added: "I still want to fight Anthony Joshua for the title.
"There are many factors for this fight to happen, my team and all the participants and all their interested parties are already working on it
"But there are still many people who wish to fight him as well, like Tyson Fury."
Usyk's manager Egis Kilmas claimed that if AJ chose to vacate the WBO belt in order to fight Fury it would show he was 'scared' of taking on Usyk.
Kilmas previously told BoxingScene.com: "Giving up the WBO belt means that Anthony Joshua is scared to fight Oleksandr Usyk. It means he sees a big risk fighting Oleksandr Usyk and losing.
"That’s what it tells me. If Anthony Joshua is 100 per cent sure he can beat Oleksandr Usyk then it’s a different story. But if he is not sure, of course, he can give up the title."
But Usyk disagreed with his manager when speaking exclusively to SunSport and said: "No, I don’t think he would really be afraid of me.
"Because I think if he even does vacate the belt, he might have his own reasons. With Tyson Fury he has better opportunities, I think."
Usyk praised British super-middleweight Callum Smith's 'skills' ahead of his world title defence against Canelo Alvarez on Saturday.
But tipped the Mexican to come out on top as he is 'two levels' better than his opponent – despite giving away a SEVEN INCH height advantage.
With Tyson Fury he has better opportunities."
Usyk said: "I think that in boxing everybody has a chance in a fight.
"Of course, Smith has good skills but I think Alvarez wins over him by two levels but it is boxing and anything can happen."
Usyk was asked if he would ever consider moving back down the weight categories to fight pound-for-pound No1 Alvarez – who has previously competed at light-heavyweight.
But the unbeaten Ukrainian claimed he would have to cut off his LEG to shed enough weight to make a bout possible.
He added: "I think that I wouldn’t be capable of it. I left the cruiserweight category because it was too difficult to make the weight.
"I would have to cut off my leg or something to fight someone like Alvarez."
Oleksandr Usyk was speaking after launching the WePlay Ultimate Fighting League in partnership with WePlay Esports.
Source: Read Full Article