Mets and Jacob deGrom agree on $137.5 million extensionMarch 26, 2019
Just in time.
The Mets agreed to an extension with Cy Young Award winner Jacob deGrom on Tuesday morning that will be for five years and $137.5 million, The Post confirmed.
The deal, pending a physical, was completed two days before deGrom was planning to shut down talks once the regular season starts Thursday. DeGrom will have a full no-trade clause and can opt out of the deal in 2022, while the Mets have a club option for $32.5 million in 2024.
DeGrom, 30, was scheduled to make $17 million this season and was under contract for next season as well.
DeGrom had recently expressed concerns that he was losing faith a deal would get done.
“Honestly, I really have been trying not to think about it,” he said Saturday after his final Grapefruit League appearance before starting Opening Day against the Nationals. “Yeah, I said I wanted to get something done, but it’s getting close to Opening Day and I think my focus is on that right now.”
Noah Syndergaard also had begun politicking for deGrom, and while he couldn’t get the team’s trip to Syracuse canceled, at least he can be happy about this.
“Jake is the best pitcher in baseball right now,” Syndergaard said. “I think he deserves whatever amount he’s worth and I want to keep him happy so when it becomes time to reach free agency, he stays on our side and pitches for the Mets. I just think they should quit all this fuss and pay the man already.”
Up until last season, deGrom had been represented by current Mets GM Brodie Van Wagenen at CAA. DeGrom opted to stick with that agency, and Jeff Berry handled negotiations with Mets brass this offseason.
DeGrom pitched to a brilliant 1.70 ERA last season, striking out 269 batters in 217 innings.
Source: Read Full Article