Harry Maguire set for Greek brawl re-trial after appeal lodged and conviction quashed, say Man Utd

Harry Maguire set for Greek brawl re-trial after appeal lodged and conviction quashed, say Man Utd

August 26, 2020

HARRY MAGUIRE is set for a retrial after lodging his appeal against his conviction for a Mykonos brawl.

A Manchester United spokesman insisted their skipper now has no conviction or criminal record and is innocent.




But a retrial could take up to two years to be heard in court.

A spokesman for Manchester United said: "An appeal against yesterday’s verdict was lodged this morning by Harry’s legal team

"In accordance with the Greek judicial process, the filing of an appeal extinguishes the initial court verdict and nullifies the conviction.

"The appeal has been accepted and will lead to a full retrial in a more senior court.

"This means that Harry has no criminal record and is once again presumed innocent until proven guilty."

RETRIAL LOOMS

Maguire will not be subject to any international travel restrictions, the United statement added.

The appeal was filed on Wednesday morning and the case will be retried within the next two years by a court on the nearby island of Syros, two sources told Reuters.

Maguire was found guilty of assault, attacking a cop, attempted bribery and verbal assault after a marathon seven-hour court session on the Greek island of Syros last night.

The £85million England player avoided jail and being hit with a fine as he was convicted of all charges in a Greek court.

It comes after a Greek prosecuting lawyer indicated the footie ace, 27, could have his conviction overturned if he apologised.

Earlier today, the United captain's brother Laurence Maguire insisted Harry won't say sorry for last week's brawl.

Maguire's fiancee Fern Hawkins retweeted Laurence message of support as they rallied round the footie ace.

'NO CHANCE'

A Greek court had heard Maguire's sister Daisy's eyes rolled back in her head and she began fitting after being injected with a "rape drug".

Daisy was approached by two Albanians in Mykonos on Thursday as her brother and a group of pals went to get burgers following a night out clubbing.

This afternoon, thedefender's brother Laurence Maguire tweeted: "Absolute no chance Harry will be apologising.

"Daisy and no one in the group was interviewed by the police."

Maguire said yesterday said "the truth can't be hidden" after he was found guilty of bribery, aggravated assault and resisting arrest over the Mykonos brawl.

Earlier today, Greek lawyer Ioannis Paradissis, who represented two injured police officers in court, told BBC Radio 4's Today show: "So obviously if, as I believe, there is still time for the three defendants to say they are sorry, then I believe the outcome might be different.

“Because under Greek law you can withdraw some accusations concerning non-aggravated bodily harm and concerning the verbal insults that were shouted at the police men.

“I don’t know [if my clients would accept that] but they told me they are still waiting for an apology and they haven’t heard any."


He cast doubt on the claim that Daisy was drugged by Albanians, adding: "What is strange concerning this case about the sister, the sister was interviewed by police and she said nothing about that to the police."

In a highly unusual move Maguire's case was not adjourned for the defence to translate key documents and prepare the case.

Maguire claimed HE was the victim after being handed a 21-month and ten day suspended sentence and was pulled from the England squad for the matches against Iceland and Denmark.

Maguire's brother Joe, 28, and pal Chris Sharman, 29, were also found guilty of similar charges relating to a fight on neighbouring Mykonos in the early hours of Friday.

LEGAL BATTLE

None attended but Maguire's dad Alan and friend Ashden Morley were present.

In a statement, he said: "Following the hearing, I have instructed my legal team with immediate effect to inform the courts we will be appealing.

"I remain strong and confident regarding our innocence in this matter – if anything myself, family and friends are the victims.”

Maguire today faces a three-year legal battle against his Mykonos bribery and violence convictions.

The £85million United captain vowed last night to appeal the verdict immediately but will have to wait at least a week to launch it.

Maguire's top human rights lawyer Alexis Anagnostakis earlier tried three times to postpone the case but the judge dismissed his protests.



Source: Read Full Article