Covid kiboshes Man City Women’s league cup duel with Leicester days before Citizens’ WSL clash with ReadingDecember 15, 2021
MANCHESTER CITY’S Conti Cup clash with Leicester has been shelved due to fresh cases of coronavirus in their squad.
A number of new positive Covid-19 test results have emerged following two previously confirmed last week, according to a statement on the Citizens’ website.
The news comes a day after Brentford’s Tuesday night Prem clash with Manchester United was cancelled due to four Red Devils players testing positive for the virus.
A new date for the duel between the women’s top-flight rivals, which was due to kick-off at 7:00 pm this evening, is yet to be announced.
And the club are yet to confirm if their top-flight home clash with Reading, scheduled for this Sunday will go ahead.
A statement on the Academy Stadium giants’ web page said: “Manchester City can confirm that tonight’s Continental Tyres Cup tie away at Leicester City has been postponed.
“The decision has been taken by the Football Association following a number of further positive COVID-19 cases in the women’s squad in addition to the two previously confirmed.
“A new date for the game will be announced in due course, with all tickets remaining valid for the rescheduled fixture.”
Most read in Football
Rooney's £150k car daubed with graffiti after parking it at Christmas market
Rooney lined up for sensational Everton return as BOSS if Toffees axe Benitez
Keeper is sent off BEFORE kick-off in cup final after sick gesture to rival fans
Ian Wright reacts to Aubameyang being stripped of Arsenal captaincy
Janine Beckie and Keira Walsh both missed City’s 3-2 away defeat of Birmingham with both international aces testing positive for Covid-19 over the weekend.
And Lucy Bronze was also unavailable for the club’s trip to St Andrew’s with the England ace currently isolating as part of Covid test and trace guidelines.
Gareth Taylor says Man City staff will be keeping in contact with Beckie and Walsh to check on their wellbeing.
On Tuesday the Man City boss said: “In regard to the girls who tested positive over the weekend (Walsh and Beckie), we’re keeping in touch with them on a regular basis to make sure they’re okay and wish them both a speedy recovery.
“As a team, especially following our positive cases, we’re following all the relevant league COVID-19 protocols to keep us all as safe as possible.
“We’re testing daily to ensure we’re as protected as possible heading into the end of the calendar year.”
FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN NEW CUSTOMER DEALS
Source: Read Full Article