Chelsea takeover to be CONFIRMED this week, Blues held Haaland talks before agreeing Lukaku move, Azpilicueta to Barca

Chelsea takeover to be CONFIRMED this week, Blues held Haaland talks before agreeing Lukaku move, Azpilicueta to Barca

May 18, 2022

CHELSEA'S takeover appears to have been confirmed in a deleted tweet from sponsor Trivago.

Earlier this week, the buyout seemed to have hit a massive stumbling block with the final structure of the agreement yet to resolved.

It has also been revealed that Romelu Lukaku was Chelsea's fourth choice transfer target last summer.

The Blues are said to have held talks with Erling Haaland, Robert Lewandowski and Harry Kane before settling on Lukaku.

SUN BINGO GET £50 BONUS & 50 FREE SPINS TODAY

Keep up to date with all of the latest gossip from the Stamford Bridge…

  • Sam Dymond

    Boehly to make statement signing

    Incoming Chelsea owner Todd Boehly is planning to make a statement signing on taking over at Stamford Bridge – and is targeting both Robert Lewandowski and Ousmane Dembele.

    The high-profile pair have been linked with moves away from Bayern Munich and Barcelona respectively, and the prospective Blues chief wants at least one to head up Thomas Tuchel's new-look attack.

    Dembele is available on a free transfer following the end of his contract at the Nou Camp while Lewandowski only has a final year to run on his Bayern deal.

    However, both players would require significant wages, and so it is thought that at least one high-earning first teamer would have to be moved on from the Bridge before any such swoop could be completed.

  • Etienne Fermie

    Good morning Chelsea fans

    Chelsea’s £4.25billion takeover is now set to be confirmed by the Government THIS WEEK.

    And directors Marina Granovskaia and Bruce Buck are among club executives who will share a £50million bonus from new owner Todd Boehly.

    On Monday, Government sources suggested Roman Abramovich’s demands could see the Blues takeover “fall apart”.

    The contentious issue was how the £1.6bn owed Chelsea to the Russian would be moved into a new account to fund the planned charitable foundation.

    But after days of wrangling involving club and government lawyers, the trustees of Jersey-based Camberley International Investments were given indemnity from any legal action.

    That clears the way for the initial £2.5bn payment from the Boehly consortium to be paid into a Government-controlled holding account before being transferred to the foundation – once Treasury officials confirm no money will end up in Abramovich’s pocket.

    Elsewhere, Cesar Azplicueta is yet to decide his Chelsea future despite reports claiming he’s agreed to join Barcelona.

    The defender is reportedly set to meet with the Blues’ hierarchy over his upcoming career plans in the next few hours.

    And he’s said to be intent on liaising with the club’s new owners and Thomas Tuchel as he doesn’t want to leave Stamford Bridge on bad terms, according to Sports Witness.

    Meanwhile, Chelsea are eyeing up Eintracht Frankfurt teenager Luka Hyrylainen.

    The Finland Under-19 defensive midfielder, 17, is being watched by a number of top European clubs.

    But Chelsea are hoping to pounce once he turns 18 in August and the sale of the Blues is completed and their transfer ban lifted.

    Hyrylainen has one year left on his contract with Germany’s Europa League finalists.

    Finally, N’Golo Kante has opened up about his Chelsea future.

    But he refused to reveal where he’ll be playing next season as he’s only focused on the current campaign with the Blues.

    Kante told Sky Sports: “The only thing is sure that I have one more year and the only thing is to finish this season.

    “I’ll think about it in the right time.”

  • Justin Lawrence

    Kante speaks on future

    N'Golo Kante has opened up about his Chelsea future.

    But he refused to reveal where he'll be playing next season as he's only focused on the current campaign with the Blues.

    Kante told Sky Sports: "The only thing is sure that I have one more year and the only thing is to finish this season.

    "I’ll think about it in the right time."

  • Justin Lawrence

    Mason Mount tipped for comeback

    Mason Mount has been backed to bounce back from his penalty miss against Liverpool.

    Mount’s miss handed Liverpool the FA Cup after a tense penalty shootout.

    But Reds ace Jordan Henderson reckons his England pal will be scoring pens again in no time.

    Henderson said: “He’s got the world at his feet, and I am sure he will bounce back. When he gets the opportunity again, he’ll step up and put the ball in the back of the net.”

  • Justin Lawrence

    Chelsea takeover CONFIRMED this week

    Chelsea's £4.25billion takeover is now set to be confirmed by the Government THIS WEEK.

    And directors Marina Granovskaia and Bruce Buck are among club executives who will share a £50million bonus from new owner Todd Boehly.

    On Monday, Government sources suggested Roman Abramovich’s demands could see the Blues takeover “fall apart”.

    The contentious issue was how the £1.6bn owed Chelsea to the Russian would be moved into a new account to fund the planned charitable foundation.

    But after days of wrangling involving club and government lawyers, the trustees of Jersey-based Camberley International Investments were given indemnity from any legal action.

    That clears the way for the initial £2.5bn payment from the Boehly consortium to be paid into a Government-controlled holding account before being transferred to the foundation – once Treasury officials confirm no money will end up in Abramovich’s pocket.

  • Justin Lawrence

    Chelsea track AC Milan defender

    Chelsea are reportedly keen on signing AC Milan captain Alessio Romagnoli on a free transfer this summer.

    Romagnoli’s contract expires with the Serie A giants when the season ends, and the Blues are eyeing up a swoop for the defender, according to Mundo Deportivo.

    However, Bayern Munich and Sevilla are also tracking Romagnoli, the report adds.

  • Justin Lawrence

    Azplicueta to discuss Chelsea future

    Cesar Azplicueta is yet to decide his Chelsea future despite reports claiming he’s agreed to join Barcelona.

    The defender is reportedly set to meet with the Blues’ hierarchy over his upcoming career plans in the next few hours.

    And he’s said to be intent on liaising with the club’s new owners and Thomas Tuchel as he doesn’t want to leave Stamford Bridge on bad terms, according to Sports Witness.

  • Justin Lawrence

    Chelsea eye Frankfurt teen star

    Chelsea are eyeing up Eintracht Frankfurt teenager Luka Hyrylainen, CLIFF HAYES WRITES.

    The Finland Under-19 defensive midfielder, 17, is being watched by a number of top European clubs.

    But Chelsea are hoping to pounce once he turns 18 in August and the sale of the Blues is completed and their transfer ban lifted.

    Hyrylainen has one year left on his contract with Germany's Europa League finalists.

  • Justin Lawrence

    Chelsea remain confident over deal

    Chelsea remain confident the takeover deal with Todd Boehly WILL be cleared – despite Government suggestions the club’s future is under threat, MARTIN LIPTON WRITES.

    Their positive stance was intensified as the man charged by Roman Abramovich with heading the proposed foundation, former Unicef chief Mike Penrose, write his own letter to ministers vowing the Russian could not benefit from the deal.

    Penrose said: “No one who has any association with Roman Abramovich would be employed to do anything.

    “No one could receive any financial benefit from this at all.

    “I’ve never met him. I’ve never spoken to him.

    “The club reached out to me to do this, so I have created this independently on my own initiative.

    “All I’ve ever done is referred back and the only commentary I’ve ever had back from Chelsea or from others is that this looks like exactly what we want.”

  • Justin Lawrence

    Conor Gallagher's future discussed

    Conor Gallagher will be better off on loan for another season to grow as he wouldn't get into Chelsea's current side.

    That's the view of football pundit Glen Johnson.

    He told Football London: “Right now, I’m not sure if Conor Gallagher would get in Chelsea’s team.

    “As he’s been doing so well out on loan to Palace, if I was Chelsea, I’d be keen to give him another year on loan.

    “That would give him another year to develop further, enjoy the games, learn the trade and then start smashing the first team door down the season after, but a lot can change in football.”

  • Justin Lawrence

    Liverpool linked with Kante

    Liverpool have been urged to sign Chelsea ace N'Golo Kante by Rio Ferdinand.

    Ferdinand said when speaking on Liverpool's needs: “That’s where they need a Kante.

    “A fit Kante and he’s given the license to get on and jump out of a defensive block, he’s the one player who could cause them problems.”

  • Justin Lawrence

    United fans beg for Nkunku

    Man United fans have begged the Red Devils to sign RB Leipzig star Christopher Nkunku after he was named Bundesliga’s Player of the Season.

    Nkunku’s impact has wowed United’s faithful who flocked to Twitter to voice their desire for him to be in a Red Devils shirt next season.

    One fan reckoned Nkunku’s switch to United is a foregone conclusion and wrote: “United player soon.”

    United have had an indifferent season and currently languish in sixth spot in the Premier League with just one game left to play.

    And one supporter who believes Nkunku will provide a solution to the club’s problems next season, added: “@ManUtd here is our man.”

    While a third Red Devils loyalist chipped in: “Think he’d be perfect for us.”

    Chelsea have also been linked with the midfield maestro.

  • Anthony Chapman

    Chelsea face Lewandowski Barca blow

    Chelsea target Robert Lewandowski is reportedly desperate to join Barcelona.

    And he is even willing to take a £100,000-a-week wage cut to make his dream move come true.

    Chelsea and PSG are both thought to have joined the race for the wantaway Bayern Munich striker.

    But Mundo Deportivo claims Lewandowski only wants Barcelona and is ready to do whatever it takes to get a move.

  • Anthony Chapman

    Hurst reveals Rice price tag

    West Ham legend Sir Geoff Hurst has urged the club to accept bids of £100million for Chelsea and Man Utd target Declan Rice.

    He told TalkSport: “I’m hopeful [he will stay] but not necessarily confident. It is a big issue for a young player with his outstanding talent at a club not in the top four or five.

    “They’ve offered him a big contract and I’d like to see him at the club and stay. He’s absolutely brilliant, a decent lad and fantastic player and still to improve.

    “[But] If you were to get £100million plus, which is a possibility, then you could strengthen the club with three or four players in different positions.”

  • Anthony Chapman

    Barca close in on duo

    Marcos Alonso and Cesar Azpilicueta are set to join Barcelona this summer.

    Fabrizio Romano claims a deal to sign Alonso is almost complete.

    And Barca are confident of also landing Azpi after offering him a two-year deal.

    The veteran Spaniards would link up with Andreas Christensen at the Nou Camp, with the Dane joining on a free transfer.

  • Anthony Chapman

    Marina’s Chelsea future remains unclear

    Marina Granovskaia future “has not been decided.”

    The Telegraph claims she is yet to commit to working under potential new owner Todd Boehly.

    The American is keen for her to stay, as well as chairman Bruce Buck.

    And more talks are expected this week to discuss her working role at Stamford Bridge.

  • Anthony Chapman

    United urged to sign Ziyech

    Dutch legend Marco van Basten has urged Erik ten Hag to sign Chelsea’s Hakim Ziyech for Man United.

    Ziyech and Ten Hag worked together at Ajax, with the Moroccan a key player in his XI.

    And with the playmaker struggling for minutes at Chelsea, Van Basten believes a reunion should be on the cards.

    He said: “What comes to my mind now is that I think Ziyech who already plays in England could be a very good footballer at Manchester United for Erik.”

  • Anthony Chapman

    Azpi sorry for penalty miss

    Cesar Azpilicueta has apologised to Chelsea fans for his penalty miss in the FA Cup final defeat to Liverpool.

    The Blues captain and Mason Mount fluffed their spot-kicks, handing victory to the Reds.

    Azpilicueta tweeted: “I wish I could write to you after having added another trophy for our club last Saturday, but unfortunately it was not possible. 

    “I felt confident to take on the responsibility in the penalty shootout and I didn’t succeed. At the highest level, inches can mean the difference…”

  • Anthony Chapman

    Prem Teams of the Year

    Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher have revealed their Premier League Teams of the Year.

    Unsurprisingly, the XIs are dominated by Man City and Liverpool players.

    But there isn’t one single Chelsea player in the entire side.

    Did Mason Mount or Thiago Silva deserve a look-in?

  • Anthony Chapman

    Lampard at fault for Rudiger

    Paul Merson believes Frank Lampard is to blame for Antonio Rudiger’s Chelsea exit.

    He declared: “Losing Antonio Rudiger to Real Madrid is going to break Chelsea’s heart – but his mind was made up 18 months ago with the way he was treated by Frank Lampard.

    “He got completely binned out the team by Lampard and I think that left a lasting effect on Rudiger. That’s when he decided that he’s not signing a new contract.

    “Now Chelsea are letting a £70m-80m defender go on a free transfer and they’re going to bring someone in for £70m in that will be nowhere as good as Rudiger.”

  • Anthony Chapman

    James tipped for England spot

    Gary Neville is backing Reece James to be England’s No1 right-back at the Qatar World Cup.

    He said: “I think Reece James could be the best out of them all.

    “I have concerns over his fitness and I would want to make sure he kept fit for a season or two, but he could be the best out of all of them if he continues to go forward.”

    Pal Jamie Carragher added: “He could be a mix of Kyle Walker and Trent. He’s a great crosser of the ball, Reece James.”

  • Anthony Chapman

    Lukaku not Chelsea’s first choice

    Chelsea held talks with THREE other strikers before signing Romelu Lukaku last summer.

    Goal claims the Blues attempted to sign Spurs’ Harry Kane, Borussia Dortmund’s Erling Haaland and Bayern Munich’s Robert Lewandowski.

    However, the newly-crowned European champions were unsuccessful on all three fronts.

    And that saw them eventually pay a club-record £97.5million for Inter Milan’s Lukaku.

  • Anthony Chapman

    Blues secure top four finish

    Arsenal's 2-0 defeat at Newcastle saw Chelsea finally book their place in next season's Champions League.

    Blues fans faced a nervy wait after winning just three of their last eight league games.

    Chelsea could yet end up finishing fourth if they lose their last two games and Spurs win on the final day.

    But the north Londoners only need a point against Norwich to confirm their top four return ahead of Arsenal.

  • Anthony Chapman

    Prem teams eye Monaco’s Badiashile

    Monaco star Benoit Badiashile says he has had ‘contact’ with Prem clubs amid speculation of a summer move.

    Badiashile said: “We all know the competitiveness of the Premier League, it is a fantastic league that of course, is very interesting and we all love the games.

    “I had the chance to play in the Champions League with Monaco and I think this club deserves this competition, it’s a club that’s used to playing in this competition and we want to get back on track.

    “Right now, I’m really happy with Monaco. I had some contact in the past with some [English] clubs but I’m fully focused on the end of the season and Monaco and I feel good.”

  • Kostas Lianos

    Good morning Chelsea fans

    Chelsea departing owner Roman Abramovich has been accused of blocking the final sale of the club and putting its future at risk.

    In a remarkable cranking up of pressure, sources close to the UK Government have turned their fire on Abramovich over the proposed sale condition.

    Los Angeles Dodgers co-owner Todd Boehly and his consortium were hopeful of completing a £2.6billion takeover with a promise to spend a further £1.65bn on the stadium, academy and team-building by the end of this week.

    But the ongoing spat between the Blues and the DCMS over the final structure of the agreement has now broken out into a serious issue.

    A UK Government insider expressed “considerable alarm” at the flare-up, suggesting the very viability of the West Londoners could be at threat.

    The source said: “There's quite serious concern in government that the deal may fall apart and that Roman Abramovich is ultimately willing to let Chelsea go under.”

    Meanwhile, Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel has confirmed Andreas Christensen will leave Stamford Bridge at the end of the season.

    Tuchel is adamant he will be without Christensen next season as he stated: "We're losing him."

    According to transfer guru Fabrizio Romano, the centre-back agreed a deal with Barcelona weeks ago.

    The German head coach confirmed the news while revealing the Denmark international refused to play in the FA Cup Final loss against Liverpool at Wembley.

    And Chelsea are targeting Bayern Munich superstar Robert Lewandowski, who looks set to leave the German champions.

    That is according to The Guardian's Jacob Steinburg, who is reporting that the Blues do hold an interest in Lewandowski ahead of the summer transfer window.

    Steinburg says that Tuchel "loves" the star striker, although Boehly’s consortium will first have to take over from Abramovich who is sanctioned and thus the club can’t sign new players.

    However, he says that the West Londoners need to work out what to do with Romelu Lukaku as he takes up space in the squad and the wage bill.

    The reporter describes that prospect as "a long shot… but not impossible."

    Finally, Incoming Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag has been linked with a sensational swoop for Chelsea star N'Golo Kante this summer.

    The takeover disruption at Stamford Bridge has convinced various clubs that many star players are up for grabs.

    According to The Mirror, this has led to United chiefs, including Ten Hag, believing a swoop for Kante is a realistic proposition this summer.

    The news comes after SunSport exclusively revealed that the West Londoners were fearing the midfielder would be one of many players on their way out of the club

    Source: Read Full Article