Brazil star Dani Alves arrested by Spanish police after 'sexually assaulting woman in nightclub' | The SunJanuary 20, 2023
BRAZIL Star Dani Alves has been arrested this morning after he was accused of sexually assaulting a woman in a nightclub in Barcelona.
Spanish cops detained the footballer and took him to court for questioning following the woman's formal complaint who claimed the assault happened at the iconic Sutton club in the Spanish city.
The ex-Barca defender was taken to a police station in the neighbourhood of Les Corts to make a statement.
The footballer who is now with Mexican side UNAM Pumas, admitted he had been at Sutton on December 30, when the alleged sex crime occurred.
But he protested his innocence in a Spanish TV interview after a court confirmed it had opened a formal investigation, insisting: “I don’t know who this lady is.
"I don’t know her name, I don’t know her, I’ve never seen her in my life.”
read more on sport
Gypsy King Tyson Fury denounces his heritage and changes his name to ‘Gorga Tys’
Arsenal ‘keen on shock Jaidon Anthony transfer but face fight with Leicester’
The 39-year-old, who became the oldest Brazilian to play in a FIFA World Cup last month, had arranged his police interview through lawyers, local media reported.
The reports also said he would be arrested and fingerprinted as part of a routine procedure before being questioned and taken to the court probing the alleged sex assault for a further quiz.
A spokesman for the regional Mossos D’Esquadra confirmed: “A man accused of an indecent assault at a nightclub in Barcelona late last year has been arrested.
“He has now been taken to court after making a statement to police.
Most read in Sport
Ronaldo scores TWICE on Saudi debut including pen after being punched in the head
Murray WINS epic Aussie Open clash at 4.05am after LONGEST match of career
Shakira’s war with Pique’s parents as she 'builds wall' to keep out mum-in-law
Former Spurs defender dies aged 25 in Miami boat crash as game mourns
“It will be up to the court now to decide what measures to take.”
A court official confirmed ten days ago: “Barcelona Court of Instruction Number 15 has opened proceedings over an alleged crime of sexual assault following a complaint filed by a woman against a footballer.
“The incident allegedly occurred at a nightclub in Barcelona in December.”
A spokesman for the investigating magistrate confirmed on Thursday the footballer, who it has not named, and the woman have not yet been questioned in court.
Authorities launched an investigation earlier this month after the woman named Alves as her alleged attacker.
Barcelona-based news site El Taquigrafo claimed it had CCTV footage showing Alves had been alone for 47 seconds in a toilet at the nightclub with the woman who accused him of sexually assaulting her.
The video was published by the outlet two days after the first reports of an alleged sex assault allegedly involving Alves appeared in respected Spanish daily ABC.
The newspaper claimed Alves had allegedly put his hands inside the underwear of a woman said to have danced in a VIP area of the nightclub with him and her friends before she was followed into the toilet.
Read More on The Sun
Hard-up families to get £250 free cash direct into bank accounts
I chopped off the end of my eyebrows – trolls say I look like Joan Rivers
The woman allegedly burst into tears when Alves left the venue with a male friend ten minutes later.
Two female friends who were with the victim then alerted security staff who called the police.
Source: Read Full Article