BBC's 'voice of F1' won't be working on Spanish Grand PrixJune 1, 2023
EXCLUSIVE: BBC’s ‘voice of F1’ will not be on their commentary team for this weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix, after Formula E sacked him over ‘inappropriate touching’ claims
- Jack Nicholls’ was sacked from Formula E after ‘inappropriate touching’ claims
- Mail Sport can reveal that Nicholls will not feature during the Spanish Grand Prix
- Sources close to the BBC insist he was not scheduled to commentate this week because of prior commitments to the Formula E Jakarta Grand Prix
The voice of BBC’s Formula 1 coverage, Jack Nicholls, is not included on their commentary team for this weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix – after his Formula E sacking over ‘inappropriate touching’ claims.
Nicholls’ contract with the rival championship was axed on Thursday after an investigation revealed three complainants who alleged they had been touched inappropriately.
Alongside his role at Formula E, Nicholls had covered every Formula One race since 2016 for BBC Radio 5Live and, in 2019, picked up a similar role in Netflix’s hit series ‘Drive to Survive’.
However, in the wake of his sacking, Nicholls decided to remove himself from the BBC’s commentary team for their coverage of the Monaco Grand Prix last week.
And Mail Sport can reveal Nicholls will not be on the microphone for this weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix. A source close to the BBC indicated that the broadcaster are ‘aware’ of Formula E’s investigation into Nicholls and said that he is not scheduled – and had never been scheduled – to commentate this weekend due to prior commitments to the Formula E Jakarta Grand Prix.
Jack Nicholls will not be on the BBC’s commentary team for their coverage of the Spanish Grand Prix this weekend
Nicholls had commentated on every Formula One race since 2016 for the BBC, before an investigation was launched by Formula E over ‘inappropriate touching’ claims
On Thursday, Formula E confirmed Nicholls’ dismissal, as they told The Times: ‘We can confirm an investigation was carried out in response to complaints of inappropriate behaviour.
‘Following this, Jack Nicholls’ contract to provide race commentary was terminated.’
Nicholls has been a huge part of the Formula E electric racing series since it was launched in 2014 and is a well-known voice to many fans across the world.
The allegations made against him have sent shockwaves through the racing community, with many surprised by the nature of the incidents.
One of the alleged victims is thought to have been a junior colleague of Nicholls, with whom he was in a relationship at the time – breaking Formula E’s conduct rules.
The other two complaints against the presenter were reportedly made by witnesses.
The incidents are said to have taken place across the world, including in Rome and Cape Town.
Nicholls has been a huge part of the electric racing series since it was launched in 2014 and is a well-known voice to many fans across the world
In response to the incident, Nicholls told The Guardian: ‘Although disappointed with the decision, I respect it and accept why it was taken.
‘I want to take full responsibility for what I did and apologise unreservedly for a couple of isolated incidents that has made those concerned feel uncomfortable.
‘I never meant any harm and I am committed to making amends and to be more mindful of my behaviour in future.’
MailOnline have reached to Netflix for further comment.
Source: Read Full Article