The Crown's cast confess they 'IGNORE real events'

The Crown's cast confess they 'IGNORE real events'

November 8, 2022

The Crown’s cast confess they ‘IGNORE real events’: Actors say they ‘don’t think about’ facts and defend creator Peter Morgan as ‘humanizing the royals’ and focusing on ‘what they are feeling’ – amid mounting criticism of controversial series

  • The Crowns actors told how they ‘don’t think about the real events’ while filming
  • Jonathan Pryce, who plays Prince Philip, said it is ‘all part of our story’
  • Portrayed  royal having ‘intimate’ friendship with Penny Knatchbull in new series 
  • Meanwhile Lesley Manville, who portrays Margaret, said she ‘ignored real events’
  • She defended the show, saying: ‘It’s more about what these people are thinking’
  • Comments come ahead of release of highly controversial fifth series tomorrow  

The Crown’s cast have defended the controversial new series ahead of it’s release tomorrow, insisting they ‘ignore real events’ while filming and instead ‘focus on what the royals are feeling.’

Netflix has been under growing pressure to introduce a disclaimer for The Crown amid fury over its faked storylines based on the Royals.

The Mail on Sunday previously revealed the fury of former Prime Minister John Major, who called the big-budget drama ‘malicious nonsense’ over bogus scenes in the latest series in which Prince Charles plots to force his mother the Queen to abdicate the throne. Friends of King Charles III called for a boycott over the scenes.

Other scenes to have caused a stir ahead of its release include the portrayal of an ‘intimate’ friendship between Prince Philip and a close friend, Penny Knatchbull.

However speaking today at a press conference ahead of the show’s release, actor Jonathan Pryce, who plays Prince Philip, said the plotlines are ‘all part of our story’, adding: ‘We enter into it as characters in a story. It’s just like normal filmmaking. You don’t think about those real events – at least, I don’t.’

Meanwhile Lesley Manville, who portrays Princess Margaret, said she actually ‘ignored real events’, saying: ‘The thing is, about our scripts, it can absolutely hone in what any of these characters are feeling.’

The Crown’s cast have defended the controversial new series ahead of it’s release tomorrow, insisting they ‘ignore real events’ while filming and instead ‘focus on what the royals are feeling’

Scenes to have caused a stir ahead of its release include the portrayal of an ‘intimate’ friendship between Prince Philip and a close friend, Penny Knatchbull. 

After being asked about how challenging it was to act out stories which ‘the world thinks they already know’,  Lesley said: ‘What can happen in The Crown is, you can actually ignore the real events.’

‘It’s more about what these people are feeling and thinking.’

She continued: ‘When the public watches a real public event, you don’t know. You have to imagine how they’re feeling.

‘The great thing about our scripts is, it can absolutely hone in what any of these characters are feeling about that. 

Netflix has been under growing pressure to introduce a disclaimer for The Crown amid fury over its faked storylines based on the Royals

Among the actors to defend the fictional storylines was Lesley Manville, who plays Princess Margaret (pictured) 

‘They come to these events with their own stories going on and lives ticking on underneath.

‘It’s great to be able to tell the private and personal stories about these people, and view them in that way.’

Meanwhile Jonny Lee Miller, who portrays Prime Minister John Major in the series, praised creator Peter Morgan for his wortk. 

He said: ‘That’s what peter does so generously and empathetically, and with real class actually. 

‘That’s what the audience has always connected with. 

‘It’s about humanizing people, and what that life is like…The more understanding there is just better.’

The Mail on Sunday previously revealed the fury of former Prime Minister John Major, who called the big-budget drama ‘malicious nonsense’ over bogus scenes in the latest series in which Prince Charles plots to force his mother the Queen to abdicate the throne

Elsewhere, Jonathan confessed the Queen’s death is ‘bound to affect the audience’s perception’ of the latest series.

However he went on to say he was ‘confident’ it would help to boost viewing figures for the controversial series.

He added: ‘People will, I don’t want to sound too pompous, they’ll gain some comfort from seeing her embodied again.

‘It’s a reflection of where our society is at with a lack of trust and a lack of believability in our politicians.’

He compared the public’s reaction to that which came after Diana died, saying: ‘Part of seeing people queue for the Queen, it was saying, “This is the kind of people we want leading our country.”.

Meanwhile the cast also said they believed the Queen’s death would ‘boost’ viewing figures for the controversial series 

Meanwhile Imelda Staunton, who portrays the late monarch in the series, added she felt an admiration for ‘people who stick at one thing, or just keep going.’

She said: ‘It amazed me people really admired this woman. Here we are, celebrating a woman, with her own face, who just…she just did the job.

‘Not anything outside the job, not the stuff around it. Just a straight line.’ 

Controversy has reached fever pitch ahead of the series release tomorrow, with a number of storylines in the show receiving heavy criticism from critics as fictitious. 

Netflix is to warn viewers of The Crown that the series is a fictionalised drama – but still refuses to put the disclaimer at the start of every episode.

Instead the US streaming giant plans to place a ‘fiction warning’ on the home page where viewers click to play episodes, which critics last night blasted as a fudge.

Sir Tony Blair revealed his anger over the show earlier this week, with a spokesman calling The Crown ‘complete and utter rubbish’ over its fake storylines.

Royal expert Thomas Blaikie said: ‘Netflix is trying to have its cake and eat it too. If it is going to finally put a disclaimer on, it should be at the start of every episode. As it gets nearer to the present day, it becomes more concerning when the series departs dramatically from what actually happened.’

David Mellor, a cabinet minister under Major, said: ‘The reality is that Netflix does not want people to think this is a total fabrication. They want people to watch it on the basis that there’s a lot of truth in the story so anything that draws attention to the viewer that this is a pack of lies is not in their own best interest.

‘By putting a disclaimer tucked away on the Netflix page they can claim that they are being clear to people that this is fictionalised when really they are not being clear at all.’

Royal biographer Sally Bedell Smith said: ‘They should put a big warning right at the beginning in black and white stating that it is a fictionalised drama. Doing anything other than that is totally disingenuous.’

Meanwhile, palace insiders disputed claims that King Charles had given his blessing to actor Dominic West, who plays a young Prince Charles in the new series of The Crown.

West told the Radio Times that, after landing the role with the Netflix programme, he wrote to the palace offering to resign from his position as a charity ambassador for The Prince’s Trust. West claimed he received a reply stating: ‘You do what you like, you’re an actor. It’s nothing to do with us.’

However, palace insiders said ‘recollections may vary’. They said the actor did indeed write to the King’s office and received a letter back from a senior aide.

But they said the reply did not offer any indication that the King approved of West’s decision to take the role.

A Palace source said: ‘By relaying this anecdote about private correspondence, the implication is that His Majesty’s office gave tacit agreement or condoned the programme in some way. This is not the case.’

Buckingham Palace and the Prince’s Trust declined to comment.  

Source: Read Full Article