Royal expert says Meghan's Variety interview 'raised eyebrows'

Royal expert says Meghan's Variety interview 'raised eyebrows'

October 25, 2022

Meghan Markle’s Variety interview ‘raised eyebrows’ because there was ‘no sense of an apology’ for what she and Prince Harry ‘put the Queen through’, Richard Eden tells the latest episode of Palace Confidential

  • Diary editor Richard Eden said Meghan’s Variety interview ‘raised eyebrows’
  • He said there was ‘no sense of an apology’ for what she put the Queen through
  • Saying people had mixed emotions in the latest episode of Palace Confidential

Richard Eden said Meghan Markle’s Variety interview ‘raised eyebrows’ because  there was ‘no sense of an apology’ for what she put the Queen through. 

The Daily Mail’s diary editor revealed the interview would have ‘left people with mixed emotions’ in the latest episode of Palace Confidential. 

He suggested that Meghan should have apologised for ‘the hard times’ herself and her husband Prince Harry have put the Queen and Prince Philip through ‘with their interviews and insults of the royal family.’    

Richard said: ‘She certainly could have said, “I am not here to talk about the Queen’s death at all because I am here to publicise my commercial projects”, but maybe that would have been unreasonable, and she was paid for some tribute to the Queen.

‘Lots of it would of raised eyebrows because she talked about her relationship with the Queen. 

‘But there was no sense of an apology for the hard times that she put the Queen through, same as they did with Prince Philip, with their interviews and insults of the royal family, all of these things that led up to the Queen’s death.

‘So it would have been an interview that would have left people with mixed emotions.’

Assistant editor of The Mail on Sunday, Kate Mansey, went on to speculate that Meghan was trying to ‘distance herself from her and Prince Harry’s Netflix docu-series in the Variety Interview. 

Queen Elizabeth with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex on the balcony of Buckingham Palace in 2018 

Richard Eden said Meghan’s Variety interview ‘raised eyebrows’ as there was ‘no sense of an apology’ for what she put the Queen through in the latest episode of Palace Confidential

Richard, who is Daily Mail’s diary editor, revealed the Variety interview would have ‘left people with mixed emotions’ on the show 

She said: ‘Meghan seemed to distance herself from it, saying “well it’s their project” rather taking full ownership, so I wonder will there be some interesting points in there. 

Richard added: ‘They signed this multi mullion deal with Netflix what have we seen so far? Nothing.’

‘But now, the first thing we are going to see is entirely a Netflix production about them which they are keen to distance themselves from. 

‘Let’s be clear why, because it looks like it’s going to be awful for the royal family, it’s going to be lots of negative stuff, they want to say that’s Liz Garbus vision its nothing to do with us, which is very alarming.’  

Assistant editor of The Mail on Sunday Kate Mansey went on to speculate that Meghan was trying to ‘distance herself from her and Harry’s Netflix docu-series in the Variety Interview

Kate added: ‘That makes me think the timing won’t be delayed because if people say why are you doing this so soon after the Queen’s death , well now they can say, well hang on this was Netflix’s decision.’ 

During her interview with Variety Meghan admitted the docu-series ‘may not be the way we would have told it.’

She said: ‘It’s nice to be able to trust someone with our story — a seasoned director whose work I’ve long admired — even if it means it may not be the way we would have told it. 

‘But that’s not why we’re telling it. We’re trusting our story to someone else, and that means it will go through their lens.’   

Garbus is a celebrated director and filmmaker who previously had control over a documentary about the life and legend of singer, pianist and civil rights activist Nina Simone.

She also produced a film called Shouting Fire: Stories from the Edge of Free Speech and was nominated for an Emmy for her work in The Handmaid’s Tale.

The experts went onto discuss what impact the new series of The Crown will have on the Royal Family.

The experts went onto discuss what impact the new series of The Crown will have on the Royal Family

https://youtube.com/watch?v=k4DDHdskgXk%3Frel%3D0%26showinfo%3D1%26hl%3Den-US

Richard said it couldn’t come at a worse time for the new King as it ‘focuses on the worst part of his life.’

He said: ‘It’s awful because it’s really focusing on the lowest, the worst part of his life, just at the start of what should be a happy period, really, being king, yes his mother’s died, but it’s a new start.’

‘Instead, it’s dragging all this up again, leading up to the tragic death of Diana so it’s going to be grim. He’s just got to grin and bear it.’

 Kate said friends of the King are extremely unhappy about the prospect of the new storylines.

She said: ‘It was described to me by one very senior friend of the King that it’s trolling on a Hollywood budget,’ she told the programme. 

‘That’s what you’re seeing: it’s slick, it’s magnificent, but Charles is presented as a callous, horrible, feckless husband, it plays to the script to make it very dramatic that he’s the baddie, Diana’s the goodie and that’s how it was. 

‘And there’ll be some people who believe that and that’s the danger.’ 

Source: Read Full Article