Our druggie son won't eat our food because he's convinced we're trying to kill him

Our druggie son won't eat our food because he's convinced we're trying to kill him

February 14, 2022

DEAR DEIDRE: MY son accuses us of trying to poison him and refuses to eat our food.

Then he swears at us and accuses me of having an affair.

For more advice from Dear Deidre

No issue is too small, too large or too embarrassing. Read our personal replies here.

  • Dear Deidre on Mental Health
  • Dear Deidre on Identity  
  • Dear Deidre on Debt and Money 
  • Dear Deidre on Work
  • Dear Deidre on Health and Wellbeing 
  • Dear Deidre on Addiction

He’s 35 and a regular cannabis user – has been since his teens. I think that deep down he knows he has issues but is worried about getting treatment.

I am 71 and my wife is 67. We do see glimpses of the son we know and love occasionally but he soon slips back into violent rages and doesn’t speak to us for days on end.

We mostly go out ­– anywhere just to get away from him.

He has a very easy life and got everything he ever asked for growing up. He’s very spoilt, still lives at home and doesn’t contribute a penny to the household.

Get in touch with Deidre

Every problem gets a personal reply, usually within 24 hours weekdays.

Send an email to [email protected]

You can also send a private message on the DearDeidreOfficial Facebook page.

We suspect he spends all his money on drugs.

I have tried to get him to a doctor but he refuses to go. My wife and I are at our wits’ end.

Most read in Dear Deidre


Amelia's partner skips Valentine's Day and her stepson is suspicious


My boyfriend is on dating sites and eyes up other women in front of me


I panic at the thought of bumping into my neighbours


I can't keep an erection when I have sex with my girlfriend

DEIDRE SAYS: He’s an adult and responsible for his behaviour. But he’s making your lives a misery.

He can’t get help unless he accepts he needs it.

Tell him how much you love him and want to see him well. Explain you need him to be working towards living independently and he can only continue to live with you if he gets help.

You can find support through Adfam, who help families affected by drug and alcohol problems (adfam.org.uk).

NEXT IN TODAY'S DEAR DEIDRE I feel like a mug because I always give lifts to drunk friends

READ DEIDRE'S STORIES Amelia’s partner skips Valentine’s Day and her stepson is suspicious

GET IN TOUCH How the page works and how to contact us

    Source: Read Full Article