Costa is testing click and collect coffees so you can beat the queueDecember 5, 2018
Customers will be able to pre-order their drinks on the app and pick them up at their chosen branch from today – but it's only available in London for now.
Three years after Starbucks launched a mobile pre-order service in the UK, there are now 111 Costa branches around the capital where customers can pre-pay and order their drinks in advance, with most near major Tube or train stations.
There are plans to roll out the Costa Collect scheme to more stores across the country next year, and potentially to all 2,422 UK shops if the trial is a success.
All fans need to do to beat the queue for a coffee is download Costa's free app for its Coffee Club loyalty programme.
Costa's pre-order scheme differs from Starbucks' as you don't need to top up a virtual loyalty card with funds.
Instead, you will be charged for each order individually, which could work out cheaper for coffee fans as you don't have to pay a larger sum upfront.
How to pre-order drinks at Costa
1. Download the Coffee Club app, and register for an account if you don't have one. If you do, London customers will automatically have the pre-order feature installed on the app if they have auto-updates.
2. Enter your details, then click on the 'Order' tab at the bottom of the app.
3. Select a store to order from, and the app will list the branches closest to you that are taking part in the trial.
4. Once you've chosen a shop, the app will show you Costa's drinks menu as unfortunately, you can't pre-order food currently. Select your drink.
5. You can choose your drink size, and what type of milk you want.
6. Hit the 'Order' button and it will ask you if you want to proceed to checkout or add more drinks.
7. Once you checkout, the app shows you when your drink will be ready to collect.
8. Add payment details, and place your order. You can then beat the queue and pick up your drink.
Customers will be sent VAT receipts so you can track your spending.
If you already have the Coffee Club app installed on your phone, you will need to update the app as otherwise it wont have the Costa Collect feature installed.
Costa's website has a full list of every branch you can pre-order from.
Global digital and loyalty director at Costa Coffee, Arslan Sharif, said: “Our insights tell us that customers are demanding more and expect innovations which help enhance their day-to-day busy lives by making it easy and convenient to buy their favourite drink and our new Costa Collect service does exactly this.
"We’re delighted to be able to offer customers across London the chance to take back some precious time in their day with the launch of Costa Collect.”
The Costa Coffee Club loyalty programme launched in 2010 and is now one of the biggest loyalty schemes in the UK, with 5.5million users.
If you sign up for the scheme on the app, you will be given 100 bonus points worth £1. Afterwards, you earn five points for every £1 you spend.
Once you have earned 200 points worth £2, you can redeem your points in store for a free coffee, or snack.
You can find your nearest Costa branch using its online store finder tool.
Earlier this year, Greggs began testing out a similar click and collect service in Manchester.
Meanwhile a savvy mum has revealed her very cheeky tip for guaranteeing free delivery on her online shopping.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Money team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 78 24516. Don't forget to join the Sun Money's Facebook group for the latest bargains and money-saving advice.
Source: Read Full Article