Cadbury's slammed for £50 Ultimate Selection box hamper that has just £24 worth of chocolateDecember 14, 2018
The chocolate retailer's "Ultimate Selection Box" contains 26 individually wrapped chocolate bars and weighs over 2kg.
Favourites in the pack include Crunchie, Flake and Dairy Milk.
But it seems that more than half the price shoppers are coughing up for is to cover the 75cm x 48 cm x 4cm box and packaging.
Buy the chocolate bars separately, and you'd pay just £23.92, according to prices found using supermarket comparison tool MySupermarket.
That's nearly half the price – and shoppers are naturally outraged about it.
What Cadbury's Ultimate Selection Box contains
- Cadbury Dairy Milk 360g – £3.50
- Cadbury Dairy Milk Crunchie 200g – £2
- Cadbury Dairy Milk Tiffin 200g – £2 (although currently on offer at some supermarkets for £1.50)
- Cadbury Dairy Milk Daim 120g – £1.50
- Cadbury Dairy Milk Fruit & Nut 110g – £1.50 (although 200g bar currently on offer at some supermarkets for £1.50)
- Dairy Milk Oreo Bar 120g – £1.50
- Dairy Milk Mint Oreo 120g – £1.50
- Cadbury Dairy Milk Whole Nut 120g – £1.50 (although 200g bar currently on offer at some supermarkets for £1.50)
- Cadbury Dairy Milk 45g – 60p
- Cadbury Dairy Milk with Caramel 45g – not available in this size on MySupermarket but the 49g bar costs 60p
- Cadbury Dairy Milk Fruit & Nut 49g – not available on MySupermarket but we'll assume a price of 60p to match other bars of a similar size
- Cadbury Dairy Milk Whole Nut 45g – not available in this size on MySupermarket but the 49g bar costs 60p
- Crunchie 40g – 60p
- Cadbury Dairy Oreo 41g – 60p
- Cadbury Dairy Milk Marvellous Creations 47g – 60p
- Cadbury Flake 32g – 60p
- Cadbury Double Decker 54.5g – not available in this size on MySupermarket but a 60g bar costs 60p
- Cadbury Star Bar 49g – not available on MySupermarket but we'll assume a price of 60p to match other bars of a similar size
- Cadbury Twirl Bar 43g – 60p
- Cadbury Wispa 36g – not available in this size on MySupermarket but a 39g bar costs 60p
- Cadbury Wispa Gold 48g – not available in this size on MySupermarket but a 52g bar costs 60p
- Cadbury Curly Wurly 26g – 30p
- Cadbury Freddo 18g – 26p
- Cadbury Freddo Caramel 19.5g – not available on MySupermarket but we'll assume a price of 26p to match the plain Freddo bar
- Cadbury Fudge 25g – not available on MySupermarket but we'll assume a price of 30p to match the similar sized Curly Wurly
Total: £23.92 – and that's not including the 60p discount you'd get on many of the 60p bars, which are on offer for three for £1.20.
Prices according to MySupermarket.
The Blackpool Gazette reports seeing a number of complaints from shoppers.
Among them includes one from Facebook user April Rose, who said: “I hate to be that person… but this is soo ridiculously overpriced at £50!
You could literally purchase all of these bars in pound shops or on offer at the supermarkets.”
Another called, Dan Laskey, reportedly wrote: "Cheaper to go to Tesco and buy it separately!”
While Sharon Bartlett branded the item a rip off, saying: “You could get it all a lot cheaper probably half the price, so who would pay £25 for the cardboard box, as that’s what you are basically doing.”
Other complaints The Sun saw on Twitter include one who wrote that selection boxes have "never been good value" and another who commented that you're simply "paying for extra packaging".
A spokesperson for Cadbury said: "After popular demand, we have made a limited number of Cadbury Ultimate Selection Boxes, containing all the top Cadbury favourites.
"The smaller production run and increased packaging costs to withhold the considerable weight of the combined products has meant higher manufacturing costs, this is reflected in the price."
Cadbury came under fire earlier this month after fans discovered its Heroes advent calendar was MISSING chocolates.
Although the firm has tried to win back customers by announcing the arrival of a new dark salted caramel chocolate bar.
We reported earlier today how packaging makes up almost HALF of Christmas chocolates, with Ferrero Rocher the worst firm for this.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Money team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 78 24516. Don't forget to join the Sun Money's Facebook group for the latest bargains and money-saving advice.
Source: Read Full Article