Try these tasty sarnie ideas from around Europe for fancy picnicsMay 17, 2021
THE sandwich is one of the most versatile items in our diet – and it doesn’t have to be just an everyday offering.
Here are fancy sarnie ideas from around Europe that would be perfect served up at a party or posh picnic.
- Get the new free MyMorrisons app for personalised offers and money-off.
Italian pressed sandwich
Serves 6 – 90p per serving
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Rest time: 4-24 hours
- 1 large cob loaf
- 4 tbsp red pepper pesto
- 10 slices red Leicester cheese
- 10 slices wafer thin ham
- 2 slices Morrisons
- carvery roast chicken
- 1 beef tomato, thinly sliced
- 10 basil leaves
- 50g rocket
- Using a sharp knife, take the lid off the top of the loaf and using your hands, scoop out the bread inside.
- Put the bread pieces into a freezer bag and freeze to use as breadcrumbs at another time. Your loaf should now resemble a soup bowl with a lid.
- Spread 3 tbsp of the red pepper pesto around the inside of the loaf and the lid. Then start layering the cheese, ham, chicken and tomatoes into the hollow. Press each layer down as you go. Half way through, use the remaining pesto to form another layer and repeat.
- After you have used all the meat and cheese, combine the rocket and basil together to fill the rest of the loaf. Put the lid on top and wrap the entire loaf in clingfilm as tightly as you can.
- Refrigerate for at least four hours, but up to 24 hours before you need it, having placed a heavy chopping board on top of the loaf in the fridge. You want all the flavours to compress and combine.
- When you are ready to serve, cut the loaf like you would a cake and serve in slices.
British coronation chicken sandwich
Makes 10 sandwiches – 95p per serving
Preparation time: 20 minutes
- 2 little gem lettuce
- 100g mayonnaise
- 75g mango chutney
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 500g skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets – cooked and diced
- 20 slices bread of your choice
- 4 tbsp butter
- Wash and drain lettuce leaves. In a large bowl, whisk together the mayo, chutney, curry powder, lime zest and juice.
- Add the chicken and toss with the dressing until well coated. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and chill until serving.
- Butter the bread and add a couple of lettuce leaves to each sandwich.
- Divide the chicken between the sandwiches. Cut and serve.
French ham sandwich
Serves 8 – £1.06 per serving
Preparation time: 5 minutes
- 2 long French-style baguettes
- 8 tbsp salted butter, at room temperature
- 12 slices Morrisons The Best finely sliced honey-roast dry-cured ham
- 6 slices Gruyere cheese
- 8 cornichons (optional)
- Slice each baguette lengthwise and spread the butter on both sides.
- Layer each with a few slices of ham, followed by the cheese.
- Slice and add the cornichons, if using. Put on the lid and then cut each baguette into four portions.
- Refrigerate and serve cold.
Source: Read Full Article