The Queen, 95, will 'cancel only ONE appointment' due to Covid and is 'determined to carry on' working as normal

The Queen, 95, will 'cancel only ONE appointment' due to Covid and is 'determined to carry on' working as normal

February 21, 2022

THE Queen will cancel only ONE face-to-face meeting after catching Covid and is “determined to carry on” working as normal, sources say.

The Queen, 95, is in ­isolation after an outbreak at Windsor, where aides say she'll continue with planned meetings by phone and video call this week.

Palace sources said the monarch — who is triple-jabbed — is on “light duties” and will “work from home”.

As the nation wished her a speedy recovery yesterday, Her Majesty was said to be ­suffering mild symptoms.

Hours after her positive test, she signed off a statement hailing Team GB’s Olympic medal-winning curlers.

Only one in-person event is likely to be cancelled, sources told the Daily Mail.

The stoic Queen is said to want to honour her duties and will continue with her online meetings this week.

A royal source said: “There are procedures in place but there’s been a wave at Windsor with a number of cases among household staff.

Most read in The Sun

FRANKLY WILD

Brits told ‘DON'T travel today’ as 400 homes evacuated in 87mph Storm Franklin

DJ DEAD

Rita Ora leads tributes as music mogul who helped launch Ed Sheeran dies aged 31

JACK-POT

Wilshere will NOT be highest-paid player at Danish club AGF with wages revealed

MYSTERY SHOPPER

I bought a £91 Amazon returns box – I’m obsessed with my new branded bag

“The Queen has mild cold-like symptoms and plans to carry out light duties. She is determined to carry on.”

Video calls and planned engagements remain in the diary, sources stressed.

A Covid-19 outbreak was found in staff at Windsor Castle on Friday.

The Palace would not yesterday confirm how many were off sick, but it is believed to be enough to be significant.

The Queen returned her positive result during a routine morning test, and will be monitored by doctors round the clock.

Aides are not currently “overly concerned” for the Queen but are aware of the dangers Covid poses to a woman of her age, sources added.

🔵 Read our Royal Family live blog for the latest updates

Prince Charles, 73, and his wife ­Camilla, 74, both tested positive in the past two weeks.

Palace sources say it is unlikely the Queen caught Covid from them.

It is understood that Prince Andrew, 62 — who was in the castle every night last week — does not have the virus.

'WORRYING TIME'

The positive PCR test result sparked fresh health concerns for Her Majesty after Prince Charles initially sparked Covid fears for her nearly a fortnight ago.

He tested positive two days after they had afternoon tea at Windsor Castle. 

Camilla was also diagnosed with the virus several days later.

A spokesman for Buckingham Palace broke the news of the Queen’s diagnosis at 11.45am

He added: “She will continue to receive medical attention and will follow all appropriate guidelines.”

Stressing the Queen had only mild symptoms, the Palace then issued a statement “signed off” by the sovereign to celebrate Team GB’s gold and silver medals in the curling at the Winter Olympics in Beijing.

She wrote: “I know that your local communities and people throughout the United Kingdom will join me in sending our good wishes to you, your coaches and the friends and family who have supported you in your great success.”

Royal expert Angela Levin said: “It is a very worrying time because you don’t know what can happen and when.

"You don’t want to totally isolate her. She needs contact with people — she has done that ever since she came to the throne.

“It would make her sad and think about negative things because that is what you do when you are on your own for a long time.”

Commentator Alastair Bruce said the news was “a worry” but that the Queen is well looked after and is “a fighter”.

Royal biographer Robert Jobson said: “The Queen is 96 in April and Covid of course, whether you’ve been vaccinated three times as Her Majesty has, it still has an impact particularly on older people.

“There is no doubt the Prince of Wales and his family will be concerned by this development and won’t be complacent.”

'GET ON WITH THE JOB'

Ingrid Seward, editor-in-chief of Majesty Magazine, said: “The Queen is incredibly stoic and of a different generation. Anyone who grew up in the war, they hate this kind of fuss.

“She would hate the idea it was publicly being acknowledged she has Covid. But she understands that it must be.

“She is probably far more concerned that Russia might be invading Ukraine.

“She will be determined nothing is going to stop her getting through this Platinum Jubilee and if she has to stay in Windsor Castle through a new bubble for the next ten days, so be it.

"She is probably almost relieved she has it now and can get over it and go on with things.”

The castle outbreak came after Her Majesty looked back at her best hosting the switchover of her Defence Secretaries in the Oak Room at Windsor.

Using a walking stick for balance, she was filmed saying “I’m here” and complained “As you can see I can’t move.”

The Queen fully intends to fulfil three major jobs next month.

She is due to host a diplomats dinner at Windsor Castle in two weeks’ time.

Then she is due to attend the Commonwealth Day ceremony at Westminster Abbey on March 14.

The Queen also wants to be alongside her family at the Abbey for a thanksgiving service for her late husband Prince Philip on March 29.

He died aged 99 last April.

She is then expected to be right at the front of her four-day Platinum Jubilee party in June.

TV stars were among those sending “get well” wishes yesterday.

Sun columnist Piers Morgan tweeted: “Wishing Her Majesty, The Queen a full & speedy recovery from COVID-19. Worrying for any 95-year-old person to catch this virus, and a very worrying time for Britain when it’s our Monarch. Good luck, Ma’am.”

Match of the Day presenter Gary Lineker also wished her a “full and speedy recovery”.

The Duchess of Cambridge will still fly to Copenhagen tomorrow on a solo two-day working trip on child development — despite the Queen’s health scare, Kensington Palace said.

    Source: Read Full Article