Jussie Smollett reportedly apologizes to ‘Empire’ cast and maintains innocenceFebruary 22, 2019
Jussie Smollett has reportedly apologized to the cast and crew of “Empire” — offering up an emotional, on-set plea Thursday in which he maintained his innocence.
“I’m sorry I’ve put you all through this and not answered any calls,” said the embattled “Empire” star, according to production sources who spoke to TMZ.
“I wanted to say I’m sorry and, you know me, I would never do this to any of you,” Smollett added. “You are my family. I swear to God, I did not do this.”
Sources told TMZ that Smollett was at least 30 minutes late for shooting on Thursday after appearing in court earlier in the day.
The 36-year-old is facing a class 4 felony charge of disorderly conduct for allegedly filing a false police report. He claims to have suffered a racist and homophobic attack in Chicago late last month.
Cops say Smollett, who is gay and black, made up the attack story to gain sympathy and a possible pay raise. He has denied the allegations against him.
20th Century Fox Television — which produces “Empire” — did not immediately respond to requests for comment Thursday night in regards to the Smollett apology.
Sources told Page Six that the actor’s role as Jamal Lyon will likely be reduced due to the scandal surrounding him.
”We understand the seriousness of this matter, and we respect the legal process,” Fox said in a statement Thursday following Smollett’s arrest. “We are evaluating the situation and we are considering our options.”
Source: Read Full Article