Arlene Phillips 'is set to replace John Barrowman on Dancing On Ice'October 5, 2021
Arlene Phillips ‘is set to replace John Barrowman as a judge on Dancing On Ice’ after he was axed five months after apologising for exposing himself on Doctor Who set in historic incidents
- The entertainer, 54, who joined the show last year, has been axed
- He previously admitted to historic ‘tomfoolery’ and exposing himself on the sets of Doctor Who and Torchwood in a shock revelation
- A source said: ‘This will be devastating for him. Clearly ITV feel it’s not a good look to have someone like John centre-stage on a family-friendly show’
- An ITV spokesperson said: ‘We thank John Barrowman for two brilliant years on the Dancing on Ice panel and are pleased to be working with him again as host of the forthcoming All Star Musicals specials’
- No charges were brought against the media personality after allegations about him exposing himself were revealed by Noel Clarke in a 2014 YouTube video
- John said his behaviour on set was to ‘defuse awkwardness’ whenever he was filming a sex scene in Torchwood but later conceded the act was ‘juvenile’
Arlene Phillips is reportedly set to replace John Barrowman as a judge on Dancing On Ice after he was recently axed.
The former dancer, 78, is said to be in advanced talks with ITV to make her return to primetime TV since she was axed from Strictly Come Dancing in 2009.
An insider told The Sun: ‘The fact that Arlene is a mature woman with decades of experience in the dance world is seen as a huge asset for Dancing on Ice.
Replacement: Arlene Phillips is reportedly set to replace John Barrowman as a judge on Dancing On Ice after he was recently axed (pictured in September 2021)
‘In contrast to what people see as her harsh treatment by Strictly, ITV bosses see her seniority as a brilliant way to create a diverse panel of experts on the show.
‘It means the DOI judges are now made of two men and two women spanning an extensive age range.’
The source added that Arlene’s experience as a choreographer would be a ‘huge asset’ to the programme.
MailOnline has contacted representatives for Arlene Phillips and ITV for comment.
Change: The former dancer, 78, is said to be in advanced talks with ITV to make her return to primetime TV after John, 54, apologised for exposing himself on the set of other shows in historic incidents (pictured in February 2021)
Arlene was previously let go from her judging role on Strictly Come Dancing where she was replaced by Alesha Dixon.
It comes after John was axed from Dancing On Ice – five months after he apologised for exposing himself on the set of other shows in historic incidents.
The entertainer, 54, who joined the show last year and appeared in two seasons, previously admitted to ‘tomfoolery’ on the sets of Doctor Who, where he began playing Captain Jack Harkness in 2005 and spin-off series Torchwood a year later.
A source told The Sun: ‘This will be devastating for him. Clearly ITV feel it’s not a good look to have someone like John centre-stage on a family-friendly show.’
An ITV spokesperson told MailOnline John will not return to the dancing show but will be seen on the channel again when he returns to host All Star Musicals.
Axe: John was axed from the show – five months after he apologised (pictured in January 2021)
Past: Arlene was previously axed from her judging role on Strictly Come Dancing where she was replaced by Alesha Dixon (pictured on Strictly in 2008)
Representatives for the channel said: ‘We thank John Barrowman for two brilliant years on the Dancing on Ice panel and are pleased to be working with him again as host of the forthcoming All Star Musicals specials.’
A show insider added ‘John has not been “sacked” from Dancing on Ice and we continue to work with him at ITV’.
John’s team said: ‘John is thrilled to be returning to work for ITV as host on the new All Star Musicals’ but declined to comment on his departure from the skating show,
No charges were brought against the media personality after allegations about him exposing himself were revealed in May following more serious allegations of sexual harassment against his Doctor Who co-star Noel Clarke.
The incidents came to light in a resurfaced video on YouTube from 2014 and filmed at sci-fi convention, Chicago Tardis,
Past: The entertainer previously admitted to ‘tomfoolery’ on the sets of Doctor Who and Torchwood where he played Captain Jack Harkness (pictured in 2020)
Explanation: John said his ‘high-spirited behaviour’ was ‘only ever intended in good humour’ to entertain colleagues on set and backstage – and not sexual harassment (pictured filming Doctor Who in 2007)
It was released by The Guardian newspaper which had investigated Clarke’s behaviour on the Doctor Who set.
In an interview in front of a live audience, Clarke is seen regaling fellow cast members Annette Badland and Camille Coduri with tales of John’s behaviour on the set of Doctor Who, exposing himself ‘every five seconds’.
Clarke then joked with the audience not to do this at their workplace or they might go to prison in the shocking unearthed clip.
He won’t be back: John appeared on the judging panel alongside Ashley Banjo, Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean (pictured February 2020)
Clarke apologised ‘deeply’ for his actions and said he will be seeking professional help, but has ‘vehemently’ denied sexual misconduct or criminal behaviour.
In an interview with Weekend magazine, John said his behaviour on set was to ‘defuse awkwardness’ whenever he was filming a sex scene in Torchwood.
He said: ‘As Captain Jack Harkness I was the star of Torchwood, so I felt it was down to me to lead the company and keep them entertained. When I was doing a nude scene or a love scene it was clear in the script I’d be naked and everyone would have known about that at least 48 hours in advance.
Apology: In May, Barrowman apologised for exposing himself repeatedly while filming Doctor Who and Torchwood (pictured) but insisted it was just ‘tomfoolery’
‘So I’d be waiting in my trailer wearing just a robe with a sock over my “parts”. Then, if I were standing waiting to film a scene where I needed to be nude and someone came into view, I’d make a joke to put them and myself at ease.
‘My actions were simply designed to defuse any potential awkwardness among the cast and crew.’
He added: ‘I’ve never been someone who’s embarrassed about his body so it didn’t bother me if anyone saw me naked. The motivation for what I’d call my “tomfoolery” was to maintain a jokey atmosphere. There was absolutely nothing sexual about my actions and nor have I ever been accused of that.’
A source said: ‘This will be devastating for him. Clearly ITV feel it’s not a good look to have someone like John centre-stage on a family-friendly show’
John revealed he was called for a meeting with Doctor Who and Torchwood executive producer Julie Gardner who told him to reign in his behaviour.
The actor added he can now see his behaviour was ‘juvenile’ and it would not be something he would do today.
It comes after John told The Guardian his ‘high-spirited behaviour’ was ‘only ever intended in good humour’ to entertain colleagues on set and backstage – and not sexual harassment as he apologised for his past behaviour.
‘With the benefit of hindsight, I understand that upset may have been caused by my exuberant behaviour and I have apologised for this previously,’ he said. ‘Since my apology in November 2008, my understanding and behaviour have also changed.’
Allegations: In April, Barrowman’s co-star Noel Clarke (pictured in 2017) was accused of inappropriate behaviour over 14 years and of being a ‘sexual predator’ by 20 women
In May, Tory MP Alec Shelbrooke told The Sun on Sunday that the ice-skating competition is a ‘family show’ and so the actor should not be a part of it.
Shelbrooke claimed: ‘Inappropriate behaviour like this is not acceptable no matter what the circumstances. ITV and the BBC have a responsibility with the standards they set.
‘Dancing On Ice is a family show and ITV shouldn’t be willing to indulge this behaviour in any way. It’s incumbent on broadcasters to show they are not condoning such behaviour in any way.’
Show: An ITV spokesperson told MailOnline John will be seen on the channel again when he returns to host All Star Musicals (pictured in March 2021)
John broke his silence that same month, taking to Instagram to share a video with fans from the garden of his Palm Springs home.
He said: ‘Hi everybody, it’s John here and I just want to say thank you very much to all of my fan family and everybody who has reached out with the countless messages of support over the last few weeks.
‘It has meant such a great deal to me and has really touched me to know that people are supporting me and standing by me and sending their love and all their appreciation and kind words.’
He signed off his message by saying: ‘Hopefully we will all be back together soon and I look forward to it. Much love and thank you.’
Speaking out: In May, the actor broke his silence in an Instagram video thanking fans for their support
Source: Read Full Article